Double-cut strategy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassgirl4, Apr 25, 2008.

1. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

Question: when double-cutting a property, what is your strategy/method...cut at a higher height the first time around and then lower the deck the second pass, or cut at the height you want from the get-go and just chop the clippings finer the second go-around?

Which leaves a better-groomed yard?

2. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

Depends on the original height of the grass. Are you just trying to get rid of the visible clippings on the grass or was the grass so high it needed double cut to get an even cut?

3. grassgirl4

The property is a new account...just signed yesterday. It's a residential in an upscale neighborhood and has not yet been cut this year. When I quoted the job Monday, it was already just at the point of needing to be cut. However, the agreement [as mentioned] wasn't finalized until yesterday, and LOTS of rain has prevented me from getting in there to cut it today. I won't be able to cut it until Monday, so I'm expecting a hay field...wondering which approach will produce the best result?

4. grassgirl4

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be best to take the first approach (cut it higher the first pass and then lower it to the desired height the second run)?

My thought is that the blades have a better chance at chopping up the grass when it's still attached and sticking up rather than when it has already been cut low and is laying horizontally in long strands on top of the turf...

What does everyone think about my reasoning?

5. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

If the grass is high and you need to double cut to get an even cut, then I would cut high first and lower second. If you are trying to get rid of the excess clippings so you have a manicured look I would cut the height you want the grass the 1st cut and raise the deck the 2nd cut to spread the clippings out.........

6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

But what if it takes you half an hour to change the height?

I just cut it once slowly then maybe here and there twice. Blow the clippings around and tell the customer it will look better next time.

If I'm using a 21 I will bag it at two heights if it's really bad, since it's so easy to change heights.

7. moe sizlack

moe sizlack LawnSite Member

knocker down to your desired height the first pass. Do er a little slower than you would usually. Cut again at that same deck height again, in the opposite pattern from the first, this time at your usual speed. This will discharge your clippings from the first pass.

8. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Heres what I would do.

Raise the mower, cut the yard.

Leave the height the same, recut.

Return in 5 days, start lowering the cut a little each week, stay on the 5 day

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut it the height we want it the first time at a slow pace, then after it dries out a little bit we raise the deck up a notch and fly through it (but we never open the yard up again) If there are still clippilngs we blow them out w/ the backpack blowers.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

For the nicest finished product cut at the desired height, then raise the deck by 1/2 inch (not 1/4) and crosscut. I know there are a lot of opinions here but that is honestly going to get you the best results. The stripes will look nicer and the clippings will be dispersed better and are more likely to disappear into the lawn.
    Good luck.