Double cut time!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jpp, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Well, unfortunately it is that time of the year. Been having to double cut parts of lawns. Has anybody else had to start this yet? Got rain here this afternoon so Tuesday morning should be real nice.

JP

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

soon hear to in central new york.. a lot of rain over the weekend .. yards that have been fertilized will take off like mad...

3. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Try running doubles. It really helps chop up the grass into smaller pieces. You will probably still have to double cut the really bad stuff, but it will look better when youre done.

So far so good with my double set up. Standard lift with flat blades on top. :clapping:

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not yet thankfully

5. JTAYLORLAWN

JTAYLORLAWN LawnSite Member

Ive been double cuttin like crazy!!! where do you get the double blade setup at? I definately need to look into it!:usflag:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If double blades were such a nifty idea, then why ain't all the manufacturers turning them out like that? Matter of fact, why isn't there a single mower made like it? Ok, no that is wrong, Sears made one back in the 1980's... It was discontinued after just one year.

double blades is pimping out the mower is what it is, but if you're all about that ok don't forget the curb feelers as that helps also.

7. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

Honda's new commercial walkbehinds offer a blade with an X configuration and 4 cutting surfaces. I believe that adding another blade adds to the bottom line cost so most manufacturers feel that it is better for the customer to add. I've asked my distributor about it and he has no negative comments about double blades.

8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Hasn't gotten away from us that bad yet, but if it does we'll just slow-down the bobcat hydro walk behind to half speed at full throttle and run the Dixie Chopper at about 2/3 - 3/4 speed at full throttle, and then backpack blower if clippings unsightly.

We've found it alot less time consuming than two cuts.
    A big wheel trim mower is better than a small wheel one in overgrowth, and yeh we've made two cross-cuts in those areas already this year.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Honda has stacked blades on their 21s, its called quadracut

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Seems this week (the early spring was quite dry), the fescue has taken off. It'll have to be quite unusual for me to double cut, though. If it's growing that fast, I either blow the clippings with the 8000 or start lifting the deck height a little. Last year I had some commercial property I was cutting at 4.5". Hey, if it's growing that fast, 4.5" looks like a lot.:)