Double cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rick, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Rick

Rick LawnSite Member

In early spring when the grass is growing very fast and you are cutting once a week, what can you do to eliminate grass piles other than bagging? I have heard about double cutting, is this usually done for no charge and does it make a difference. I would also appreciate any other techniques that are used to control this condition.

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

With the MEG MO blades you will have very few lump or clumps

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Meg-Mo. Will these work on a Toro 21" with 6.5hp?

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The 21" style push mowers we do not make blades for them anymore. Due to the fact that the blade weights more and the inertia it takes to start the blade is more so we do not sell them for the push mowers.

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Double blades work far better than megmos, also it's cheaper and they are easier to sharpen. At least they DEFINATELY worked better for me. (on ExM 48" tt)

Double cutting will still save way more time over bagging!!

6. Rick

Rick LawnSite Member

Do you charge for double cutting or is that just part of keeping the business when the grass is growing faster than you can get to it?

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it all depends on the situation I feel. Sometimes I charge for double cutting, and sometimes I don't. Depends on the customer, property size, and what type of mood I am in

8. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

LOL very true

9. TopCut

TopCut LawnSite Member

What do you mean by double blade? A mower with more than one blade is what i am guessing. If so, will i not have a problem with clumps when i am using my 46" rider?

10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I run double blades. Double blades meaning, two blades per spindle. I bolt them on in an x pattern. If you mower has shims under the blades, you will have take one away to allow for the extra blade. On a floating deck with a lever style hight adjustment you don't have to worry.

Double blades for me explodes the grass out of the side discharge and really destroys the clumps. In the rain, and really high grass there will be clumps still. Thats when I double cut the yard. I don't charge more.