double cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rosolar, Feb 14, 2005.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

does everyone go over each lawn once when mowing? I find myself having to go over some lawns twice inorder to get rid of left over clippings and to make the strips look decent. I want to eliminate going over each lawn twice next season, but do not want to bag. Any advice. I am going to try to change my blades more frequently. I usually use high-lift or mulching blades. thanks.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Just a part of life down here...........unless it's a nice centipede lawn......then one pass is usually sufficient.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Try double blades........or mowing more often. Other than that it is just part of mowing. Especially in the Spring.

Derek

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

What size mower and engine do you have?

5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpen And Change Blades Every Night, Never Have A Problem Unless Too Much Rain Or Too Much Fert.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Being an owner of a LCO, it drove me nuts to have to double cut lawns in order to leave them decent looking. We tried every blade configuration imaginable...still the aggresive-growing lawns needed to be double cut.

Last year, we finally switched to mowing these type on a 5 day rotation basis. It can be a pita sometimes, but it beats the hell out of double cutting (which by way, cuts deeply into the profits as well). Not only do you get a few extra cuts per year, it sure as hell is easier on the equipment and employees.

At first, I thought the customers would complain. I was wrong...most of them actually thanked me. :dizzy:

7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes I have this problem........if I don't have the time to double mow or just don't feel like it I will use the backpack blower to disperse the small amount of clippings from the windrows.....

8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

same here, better than double cuting , i also have learned to slow down a little and let the mowers rpm stay higher for better mulching ,i think exmarks mulching system is one of the best ,but thats just me

9. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Double mowing here in the spring is just a way of life. I make sure my customers know my intentions though. I will cut every single week until October. That menas if we have a drought, they'd better run their sprinklers becase I'm putting down some fresh tracks either way. That's how I recover my lost time.

My customers know that I don't charge them extra when the grass is long, but I also don't give any breaks becuase the lawn has slowed down. some here go to bi-weekly around August. I won't do that until the last month of cutting (usually October).

Price your lawns accordingly, and set your policy in stone. I've had customers call to complain that their lawn "didn't need cut" and I just tell them that weekly cuts are what they signed up for. If its not growing, they need to have it fertilized, or turn up the sprinklers. I don't charge extra in the spring, and don't give discounts in the fall. Everything turns out fair, and the season gets easier as the year goes on and the grass slows down.

Like it was already said.....I'll use a backpack blower if its quicker. Or, if you can change deck height quickly, raise it up a notch on your second cut. You'll move much quicker, and won't hit any high/low spots becuase you're cross-cutting. Also, the clippings disperse much easier this way.

10. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

thanks for the feedback. I use a 48in great dane w/ a 17hp kawi. Do most of you use a mulching plate? I have been considering using one to reduce the left over clippings. I have been mowing one a 7 day scedule, but may try a 5 day during the spring. Do you tell you customers upfront that the lawn will be cut every 5 days? Most of my customers assume that I come once a week, but maybe they would be happy if i came more frequently during the heavy growth periods.