double cutting hell

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capnsac, May 29, 2008.

1. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

so who is still double cutting this lovely thick spring grass we have? I'm curious what engine size, deck size, and brand of mower you're using too.

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

well we are pretty much done with the doubble cutting. so pretty soon the customers will call and say its getting dry why did you cut.. love this biz..lol.. my guys use a turf tiger 25 hp 60'' a ferris 23 hp 60 '' and a scag wb 14 hp..

3. ezgoer1969

ezgoer1969 LawnSite Member

Same area and am in the same boat as you. Most yards I am still double cutting.
    TTHP 36".
    I have just taken off OEM straight blades and put on exmark mulching blades. Seems to look a little better.
    What mower do you use and blades?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A few more weeks maybe, maybe not...
    Toro 48's, 15hp Kohlers
    60" Warrior, 25hp Kawasaki

5. capnsac

I am hoping we only have a couple more weeks left, but who knows with this midwest weather. I'm using a 60" Cub Cadet Tank with a 25hp Kawasaki engine and factory High-lift blades. I used gators for a while there, but read on here that the factory high lifts work better than the gators. I don't think it matters though, when you're taking 5-6" off in one pass it's going to clump no matter how sharp the blades.

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Haven't done much at all this year. The grass slowed the last 2 weeks due to little rain, but the Turbo Force has drastically reduced the need. Toro 52" 28HP Kaw and Toro 60" 29hp DFI Kaw. Our smaller mowers we usually mulch or bag, so no double cutting there either.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I don't recall double cutting anything this year. Oh yea, that's why everyone in my town bags everything, that way we dont have to put up with such nonsense.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

you double cut, at your request or the clients?

Ive had people ask before, do you double cut, i say yes we do, just double your price. lol If they have a 1.5 acre lawn thats real thick, im not cutting it twice for the same $50+ as a normal single cut

Ive gone over areas twice to make it look nicer, if the grass was really tall, weeds and all, but not to just chop up the grass more.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

No double cuts here....but I have taken a few of my high growth rate lawns to a 5 day rotation. I am not scheduled so tight that I have to stick to strictly weekly.....

And, my Quick Ninja really rams through the taller grass and leaves a great stripe on a single cut....

10. capnsac

heh, I dunno which I'd rather, the nonsense of double cutting or the nonsense of bagging. Unloading the bag, reloading the bag, then having to dump the clippings somewhere. In retrospect, it's all the same.