Double cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J-Dubb, Aug 21, 2005.

1. J-Dubb

J-Dubb LawnSite Member

Can someone explain the concept, technique and advantages of "double cutting"? Is it worth the time?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Double cutting is where you make one complete pass, turn around, and make that same pass again. Advantages are a better cut for one, two you clean up all the stringers left behind that were not cut, three, you chop the rest of the clippings up. Down here on my st.augustine lawns, it is essential. Makes the lawn look like a carpet.

3. J-Dubb

J-Dubb LawnSite Member

Do you mow it at the same length or raise the deck a little? I spoke with a local who said he raises his deck 1/2" for the second cut. Does it lay a better stripe?

4. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I've only had to do it a couple of times, but leave the deck the same height. If you raise the deck you're still going to have some stringers that are taller than everything else.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Down here, we cant stripe st.augustine, but I dont raise the deck either.

6. 657

657 LawnSite Member

we raise the deck up for are #2 cut

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

When I have to double cut, I cut the entire prop., then cut it again, in a different direction.

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If I double cut it's for two reasons.

1-If the first cut is a little shaggy, then i'll go back and do it again...same rows, same direction, same height.

2-If I have some clumps or the cut grass discharge is really heavy, I'll do it again but I'll raise the deck 1/2"-1". This desperses any clumps or heavy grass.

9. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

St. Augustine can be striped. We do it all the time. It is a little different than up north, but you can definitely stipe effectively down here. As for double cutting it is essential on St. Augustine lawns (especially in the summer). The trick is to stripe in two different directions and put diamonds on the turf.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what i do too. I like it better than going over the same srtip again. Just my 2 cents.