1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

double cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaulk, Jan 6, 2006.

1. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

i spent the last 5 hrs doing a search on contracts and could not find what i was looking for. here is my problem, i would like to start to charge for double cutting only if we cant make it out to mow because of a lot of rain for a couple days straight, and we come back the next week and the lawn is very tall and thick. how do you guys handle this i would like to add this in my new contract. any input or wording would be great by the way in the spring when it is growing like crazy im ok with it ( under normall conditions) it is only when it rains a lot and we cant get there. hope this makes sence:dizzy:
  2. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

That doesn't make sense to me. Under normal circumstances, you will double cut for free? But when it rains, something that is beyond everyones control, you want to charge? I'd switch them around.
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

People aren't going to pay for double cutting. Work it into your overall price and remember how quick you can mow when it's NOT Spring.
  4. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I don't see how you can charge for double cutting, they're paying you to make tha lawn look good, if it rains or is to long you jusst have to deal with it, take that into consideration when your bidding. Now if they ask you to skip it one week, and you caome back the following week and have to cut doublecut it, hell yes charge them.Just my 2 cents
  5. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Get with BobbyGedd ,he's the man who would be able to help you with this! he is a master of clauses in his contracts!!!:)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Some guys have posted in the past that they have a "heavy growth surcharge". Maybe one of them will chime in.

It's next to impossible to make it completely fair to both parties when charging on a per-cut basis. You might experiment with a flat monthly fee for new customers. Or just deal with the problem lawns on a case by case basis in the Spring.
  7. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

i read one of bobby quote and it just went round and round with everyone i guess what i mean is if it rains 5 days straight and we come back next week and the lawn is 7-10 inches tall you have a mess on you hands, and yes they are paying us to make there place look good but i don't feel we should be working extra for free. if the cut takes 40 minutes then if you double cut it poss a hour or more to clean it up that is Ware I'm trying to make it up, I'm tired of working for free its bad enough you a week behind but also losing money
  8. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

Catching up after bad weather is just one of those things that you expect to deal with when doing lawncare. I also do tree care, and after a couple of bouts of snow I was scrambling to play catch-up in some very nasty conditions. I didn't bill my customers more because of it. They were very grateful that I still came out to work and I can guarantee that those customers will return when the need arises. Consider it an investment into your customers and move on.
    I personally keep a very close eye on the weather and try to work around it as much as possible.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the customer, we will charge an addtional 25 - 50% with a note stating why the increase for that week.