Double cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tls22, May 9, 2008.

1. tls22

tls22 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I have been cutting grass since i was 14 in a very big yard community! I have 45 account most have more then a acre of grass! I often find myself cutting these lawns 4-5 times during one weekly visit to chop up all the grass! I lose alot of time doing this, do u guys just cut it twice? I dont want to leave the clumps, it will make it look bad! Is there anyway around this? Thanks for your help!:usflag:

2. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

I most always double cut. but when I do cut it again... I only cut what needs to be double cut. double cutting leaves a cleaner look and it will be appriciated by your customer. clumps just leaves an unprofessional look to it. I estimate that double cuting only takes ten or so minutes longer, especially when your running wide open. It adds an hour or so to your day.

3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

alot of times we avoid double cutting by walking the yard with blowers and scattering all the clumps after cutting it once .

another thing i do when trying to avoid double cutting is start at the perimeter with shoot pointing inward then keep going in a smaller and smaller circle blowing grass toward center , this way you keep chopping up the clippings you cut the previous pass while your cutting the next lap of grass .
    then alot of times when i get to the center and all the grass is cut theres just clumps in the middle and i just double cut a few passes in the middle .

4. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

That music video is god awful, sounds like an old exmark running with no oil in the case.

5. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

We always double cut at least in the fast growing season.

Cut it at the normal cutting height then lift the deck and go over it again REAL QUICK comes out nice.

Lot of compliments:)

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

It's at least 50% extra. Problem is when you have a client that stipulates to only cut once and it really needs 2 times most of the year. That leaves them unhappy and you look bad, but you cant spend an extra 30 minutes every week there for nothing. Part of it is starting with a healthy first cut price by understanding what type of grass they have, water and soil conditions, and fert programs. That eliminates the need to get bent up over a few extra passes. And when you are getting extra it makes you more inclined to leave it looking real nice. We treat real healthy lawns different, but our basic policy is 1st = full, 2nd = 50%, 3rd and up = 30%.

RIP DD

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I double cut if needed....I have also found that if I cut the front then move to the back.....it gives the front clippings time to dry a little and then the second pass on the front turns them to dust......then back the the backyard if needed......

I am already seeing signs that double cutting is needed less and less each week.....

8. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I always double cut - I like the way it looks (although, I'm a bit of a perfectionist).

Any old company could probably make the lawn look pretty good, but I think customers appreciate it when you use an extra 10-15 minutes to make their lawn look really great.

9. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

DRM,

You hit it right on the head that's exactly what we do.:clapping:

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats exactly what i do..second pass with the deck a notch higher...comes out beautiful!!