Double Damage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by competitiveimageland, Jun 12, 2004.

1. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

question when you are running doubles is it doing more harm thatn good? I gad asked my dealler and he said all it does is beat on the machine and wear it out sooner ,it was meant to run doubles it would have been designed that way from factory , any comment.
    i dont want to burn the clutch out on a new machine for nothing :confused:

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It's machinery, things break on machines. If you can find a way to make a $1000.00 by spending $150.00 would you do it? If the clutch burns up, buy a new one and put it on your self. It's not a big deal.
    PS I don't run doubles LOL

3. competitiveimageland

ive got no problem with the $$ its just the fact that , is it to much on the spindles, belts, clutch
    and do you get a better cut , can you mix a set of high lift with mulching blade or do they have to be the same ?
    who runs em lets here some feedback

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Try the search function...this topic has been beat to death...lots of info here!

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running doubles for a few years on different mowers.
    I've seen NO signs of undue were and tear from double blades.
    I usualy run gators over standard blades. sometimes double standards or high lift over standard.

Most manufactureres and dealers are going to say don't do anything thats not the stock oem set up with your mower. this is so they can cover their grass if anything does break. I htink some of the manufacturers dont like the idea of someone else haveing an idea better than theirs, so they don't like anything aftermarket.
    different decks may perform better or worse with double blades. Try it and seee for yourself.

6. competitiveimageland

thanks for the reply paul i appetiate the fedback