double gators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

When you guys say you use double gators or gator high lifts with meg mo blades....does that mean you put 2 blades on each spindle?

Any one have pics of this and what the advantages are?

I wanted to put a pair of gators on a lawn tractor just to test them out in the spring and summer.....Takes a long time to bag clippings when the grass grows 2-4 inches a week....If i side discharge it looks like crap, and if i mulch it leaves rows of grass that need to be picked up....i was wondering if the gator blades might be able to solve this problem?

2. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

It worked for me. I ran doubles most of this year, factory 'wavy' blades and gators. This set up gave a clean cut with almost no clippings in heavy grass.

3. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

so i put the gator blade on first and then the standard blade on next and then tighten it up and go?

4. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Yes, but you may have to experiment with blade combinations and arrangements for your mower.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

How do you keep the blades in position. Looks like as it is used the blades would work their way out of the + position. Do you just tighten them very tight with an impact and check them often?

6. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you space them with any of the spacers that are under the mower on the spindles?

By the way Viseras where are you located in CT?