Double lades for JD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SproulsLawnCare, Jun 8, 2005.

1. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Any of you JD Z-Trac owners put double blades on your machine? I was going to try it out the other day, and discovered that the hole in the stock blades fit the spindle. A second blade would not be able to center on the smaller diameter bolt. Does anyone using JD have a solution to this?

2. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

i tried them on one of my 777s and took them back off, they really didn't help only used more gas and sucked the hp out of it, mine cuts great with one blade, but to answer your question, i found an old 5/8 sparkplug socket , took a real thin cutoff wheel on my 4 1/2 in grinder and cut three 3/16 thick spacers, they worked great!! good luck !!

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I had some spacers built so I could try double blades and took them off shortly there after. The lower blade sat too low and was actually level with...or below the lower lip of the deck. All I had was major blow out all around the base of the deck.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I run doubles on my 757's. I use Dixie Chopper high lifts on the bottom and stock John Deere high lifts on top. Works like a charm.