Double Mow?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WeeDr, Nov 10, 2007.

1. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

When you mow a customers yard do you go over it one time or two in most cases? (I'm not talking about now just a general question so I can figure out time I need to budget when bidding)

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

As a general rule, if you need to mow every property you have a second time to make it look good, then you have bad equipment !! Time for some new stuff. However, occasionally you may need to mow a second time depending on conditions, etc.
  3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I will mow a yard twice if grass is high. Like was said earlier if you have to mow the average yard twice to make it look good something is wrong with your equipment. If you are trying to stripe or check a yard just change the direction you are mowing the next week. Occasionally I will mow a yard twice to check it if the yard is got to be in show condition. Let me give an example of what I mean. In september I had a carwash that just did a regrand opening. This facility has a Highperformance theme so I check the lawn to look similar to the infield of a race track. This required me to mow twice I started on the North east corner and went diagnally to the south west corner and then went form the southeas corner to the north west corner on the second mow. the effect gives you a checker board patter and is very nice. I guess what I am getting at is if I mow twice it is usually a specail situation. I wish I had pictures of this lawn becasue I spent way to much time on it. I even went to the effort of breaking out the field striper and painting in the carwash name and flags on the lawn. The owner loved it but I spent way to long on it. :laugh: :laugh:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends on the mower for one, not all mowers cut the same, either way I found the lawn looks much better twice over, yup, just about every time.

See my main mowers are Toro Wb's, and these things are like no other mower in the world... The turboforce decks are so designed for air FLOW it unfortunately doesn't make it the best machine for lawn mowing. However, come early spring and fall, the deck's design makes for some easy cleanups, wow that thing blows leaves and debris almost as good as a blower.

One curses the days it acts like it doesn't want to cut the grass, but right about now I couldn't be more in love with it. Meanwhile I would think the better 'lawn' mower would have more of a mulching deck, which in turn isn't so hot for cleanups but then their attitude is that it's a 'lawn mower...' I suspect thus each brand and model of lawn mower has its pros and cons.

That having been said, this last year I made the double cut a standard in my business, but I do not double cut in the worst of summer because just like striping it is hard on the turf. As in, when the lawns start showing signs of stress or worse still they start to turn brown, a double cut is the worst thing you could do since it will only make matters worse.

But yeah, most of the time I double cut at least the worst of it, just this year I decided to do everything twice over and be done playing around... I double cut a cleanup and it is done, unless it's really bad but that thing can get into some pretty thick stuff and not make the biggest mess out of it.

The Warrior 60" on the other hand, most of the time a single cut does it, but I have to ride slower.
    And with cleanups all it does is make a mess, I can use it for this but what a pita, it doesn't compare to the toros IMO.
    Or I can go a little bit faster and double cut.
    But either way I think it makes a BIG difference, the key here is to pay attention, I think.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

depends on where your at, here, in the spring, double cutting is a must.... but only when really needed......
  6. theother

theother LawnSite Member

We double cut every lawn every time we go there, so do most people in our area. Is it necessary, depends on who you ask. We do it because it really looks nice and crisp afterwards. Some guys say its not needed and they might be right, but you can definately tell the difference and our customers love the double cut. We usually crisscross our stripes as well. But everyone is different.
  7. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

If I double cut they would pay double! EVERY LAWN that nuts!
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks..... i thought there was something wrong with me.....

I only have one that requires a double cut.... and YES I get paid double.....
  9. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I double cut in the fall and the spring a lot. I may have 2 lawns that need it all summer but only portions of the lawn, not the whole thing.

If it needs it I do it.
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this guy, the guy in penn. and I, have the same weather and conditions...... not like any where else in the country....

it depends on where your at , and the time of year