Double options and updates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK, so things have slowed down and I'm bored with watching reruns of "Bay watch";) . Anyway, here's something that may be of interest. In an attempt to cut the famous "twirly bird weeds" I've been experimenting with blade combos. I've started using a stock high lift blade and a gator mulching blade that I cut the "sails" off of. This combo has done two things. First, the amount of power to run the doubles has drastically reduced, practical to "single usage", which for under powered machines will still allow you to get the benefits of "double" without the power loss.. Second, the extreme amount of air forced out of the side chute, which at times can be very annoying, is gone. Actually, this combo basically has the regular amount of blowing power out the chute, and chops up the grass like doubles.
    Of course, part of the benefits of doubles is the dispersion of the grass, but in the summer you don't need that amount of dispersion because the grass is less dense. Last, front blowout is reduced to normal, which in my case is none.
    Pete

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like a mulching blade setup, Pete.
    Here in the valleys of Western NY we don't get Baywatch, and it has been raining every 2-3 days for over a week. Starting to look like Ireland.
    I may have to put the doubles back on!
    I hope you get some rain- it looks like it may be going your way today.

3. Doc Pete

Hey, send me that rain, I need the money.....;)

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Not trying to be funny here - with that modified blade, it would be reversible, right? Could sharpen front and back, just flip it over could save some time when the rain comes back?

5. Doc Pete

Actually, I guess it could. With the easy that my machine turns the "sailless" blades, I can see using triples, with just one blade with high lift and the other two flat. In fact, I thought someone was already try this???
    Pete

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I got a feeling, Pete...

... with triples you might be putting too much of a strain on your spindle bearings and/or there will be a marked increase in front blowout.

Dunno, just a thought. Lemme know if you give it a whirl. K?

r

7. Doc Pete

It seems cutting the sail off the blade makes a big difference in available power. Right now, I have no blowout with one set of high lifters and one set of "sailless" blades. My machine has full 1/4 inch stock blades, and the sailless gators are only .203. The gators are much lighter than my stockers.
    I stay in touch..........but I see can triples might not be cost worthy from a sharpening standpoint.

8. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Reversable cutting edges? I like that idea! This is one to be developed. Way to go!

They can be called the Now & Later Alligator