Double Or No?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

The LCO across the street(literally) has told me that he runs double blades on his machines and told me I should do the same. I have noticed sometimes n my customers yards that if you look like over the crest of a hill, you can see small blades of uncut or partially cut grass still remaining, get out on he lawn and you can't really tell, but sometimes you can. Will double blades under my machines fix this problem? I wanted to ask before I started removing and buying them....

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

husky theres a good chance doubles will accomplish your stated goal.
    long as it dont creat too much lift, and cause blowback which can reverse the benefit ,and bend the longer blades dn enough to cause the problem to be worse.
    in that case u may have to experiment with different combinations. good luck.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see that effect myself (looking over the crest from a low angle) on some of my lawns. I use a Exmark lazer Z hp with single stock blades. I am going to experiment with doubles myself , but I suspect that this problem has more to do with the grass than the mower. Floppy tall grass without much rigidity due to fast growth (rains and fertilizer galore) are harder to cut. Also, some cool season lawns have weeds mixed in that superficially look like Fescue or Bluegrass, but have a different texture, and might react to the air flow differently and not get cut as a result. I see this effect on a handfull of lawns only.

4. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I hear ya! I hate that left over blade!!!!

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I just ran doubles on my mower the other day and with the 17hp kawasaki, i thought it was underpowered and didnt produce as nice a cut as single high lifts. I just keep my blades super sharp and dont go wide open and i dotn notice any uncut blades of grass.

6. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

would doubles be good too use on a course grass like st augustine?

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Doubles give an excellent cut on St. Aug.
    Best bet, for doubles on your mower, experimentation.
    If you can, buy at least a couple types of blades so you can cut using different combinations, mulching, high lifts, straight 'normal, etc.
    Different mowers, blades combos, turf conditions, can all effect cut qualities. Try a few till you find one you like.

8. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Please don't give up on this thread, I was thinking of running doubles on my 42" 21HP, it currently has the mulch kit on it and has the floppy grass syndrome, will this solve the Problem. I was thinking of running gators over highlifts??? My 61" cuts everything dow, but I'm going to put doubles on it anyway/...

or should I try and take this mulchkit off and just go doubles as I stated above...???

can u just install doub;e blades or do you need a bracket?

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Gators over high lifts is a very popular combination.
    I'd say with mulch kit.
    Why = You'll get more lift, will you get more blow out too though, if you consider that a problem, some do some don't.
    Do not need any kind of doubles mounting apparatus, just + the blades, tighten as usual.

Doubles of all kinds, mulching pros and cons, have all been covered many times in many threads. I respectfully suggest you take the time to do numerous searches. Your questions have really been answered before, numerous times. You're frustrated by the lack of response here. I suggest that the lack of response is because it is evident you're not taking the time to do some searches.

10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

My mechanics had once suggested using the high lift on the discharge side only.

I have never done that yet. But I will, and I will try doubles in various combinations next week.