double or single axel trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lil_cote_93, Jun 11, 2008.

1. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

In the market for a bigger trailer...
    I am debating on a 14ft double axel trailer
    or a 12 single axel?

with gas prices, etc should i just stick with the small one?
    does the double pull nicer? less weight on the truck?
    any input would be great.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

16' double axle. I always need a bigger trailer.

3. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

16' double with brakes

get then from down south, buy 4 of them, they will stack them, come down and get them sell the other 3 and you have a free trailer.

I'f I can locate who we bought ours from that way I will PM you if your interested PM me.

4. lil_cote_93

from ON

wow really eh... when i do most my cutting all i have is a walk behind and 2 21's on the trailer... but im thinkin ztr eventually... dont go wit the 12' ?

5. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

12' for that is plenty just get one wide not the 77" go for the 84" if you dont youll hate having it

6. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

I've had both. If you really need to haul a lot of gear, the dual axle is a necessity. But if you only have a few machines, a big single is easier to get in and out of tight places, backs up sharper, etc. If your business grows and you need to go bigger, there's always a market for a good used single.

7. lil_cote_93

from ON

7 feet wide????
    thats pretty wide for a 12 ft trailer dont you think.. i was thinking 6?

8. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

it tows alot nicer than single axle and loaded up its nice having the brakes. i bought a 14ft dual axle with both braking axles and i love it. i could have gotten by with the 12ft but i like having the little extra. hindsight, i prob should have gotten the 16ft because at one point i could have used it. however, i have scaled down and sold some equipment only keeping what i use and the 14 is perfect for me. good luck.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Just buy a barely used 12' single axle... when you need a bigger one you can sell it for what you have in it.

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

id rather have the dual axle. more versaitle for a smaller application. i hauled a skid on mine a few weeks ago. you never know what you'll need to haul. the dual axle is easier to back and tow, it also has a smoother ride w/ less swaying even if it aint loaded perfectly level