Double or triple cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by howardsells2000, May 3, 2007.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason my 52" DD Ferris walk behind is not cutting very good. I just put new blades on it, tightened the belts in case maybe they were slipping. It seems to be bending the grass over but not cutting real well. My blades are not upside down. Ive tried different blades and the problem still exists. What could it be? The mower is a couple years old but seems to run good. I was wondering if maybe it's just not as powerful as it used to be. I don't know, but it's frustrating to have to double or triple cut the yards to make them look nice. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Howard

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Just to ask the obvious, but do you have high lifts on it? Is it a problem that doubles could fix? If its bending the grass over, usually lift is the problem. Has this become a problem recently only or havee you noticed it getting worse over time? And yes, it is frustrating to double and triple cut a lawn.

3. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

What height are you cutting at? I would doubt that it's a power issue. Are you cutting the same type of grass you've always cut with it?

4. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried high lift blades to suck up the grass?Try lowering your hight maybe.If It use to cut right and you have'nt changed any thing then I would say you might be losing power or your spendals are wore out.Bad belt or bad tenchner

5. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

You guys beat me to the punch on most of my post

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Going too fast?? Wet grass?

7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using gator blades. I tried a different kind of mulching blade also but nothing changed. Could the problem be the blades? I have been using the mulching blades but discharging the grass. I have thought about not using mulching blades. The problem seems to have been getting worse. I have changed my speed. Even if I go really slow I still have to recut it.

The belts are new this season and I cut at 3" inches.

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is anyone else in your area having problems? Could just be that time of year. It happens here.

9. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

put the blades on upside down on accident?

10. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

The one bad thing about gators is that if the grass is high they dont provide enough lift to suck it up after the mower runs it over. Get high lift blades, that will suck everything up and the cut will be nicer. Try lowering your height 1/4" also, that might help.