Double Talk on Backpack Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished up an extensive search on here for backpack blowers and all related titles.

Comparing a Redmax 7000 against the Echo PB-650.

Tons of people argue that the Echo is better and stronger due to the posted statistical numbers (CFM and MPH).

Yet many on here argue the Redmax is better because it... just is better.. and many claim to of used the Echo and the Redmax does better.. But the numbers don't SEEM to show that.

It appears to me that Redmax has the right side throttle control on the tube.

The Echo has a left mounted Hip-side throttle control.

Which leads to another debate as to which control system you like better.. <G>

Someone mentioned "make sure you get a blower that has cruise..." Does EITHER model have "Cruise" and what is it used for? Does the blower TURN OFF if your not constantly pushing forward or up or something on the throttle?

Redmax Users - How well does the "Backpack" Air Conditioning work? Is it a feature not even worth it? I know they can be hot to wear for a while, but doing leaves with a sweatshirt on when it's already 50 degrees out doesn't seem like an a/c unit is needed. Is it a marketing gimmick or a true reason why you bought the Redmax?

Echo Users - I hear that the 650 is built very sturdy in a cage, but many claim that it weighs alot overall and can be uncomfortable. What's your opinion on the comfort factor?

And for anyone out there, what would be your convincing reason why you'd buy brand X over Z?

Seems like on here many are very well dedicated to Exmark mowers, with a vast majority giving them three thumbs up..

Looks like Blowers the union breaks down and the civil war begins.. <G>

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Both have left side throttle controls.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Shindaiwa EB 630!
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't own an Echo backpack blower and I don't own a Redmax. We use Shindaiwa which is very similar to the Redmax though. The controls are on the opposite side from the tube, like the Redmax and Echo. After using Stihls for 7 or 8 years with the pistol grip throttle control on the tube, I prefer the control on the other side. I like the Shindaiwa because the control is on a flexible arm rather than a rigid piece.

All our Shindaiwa stuff has been very reliable, I can't say that for the 25 or so Echo pieces we had in the past. So picking a blower follows that experience. The Echo 650 maybe a fine blower, but that may explain why some don't give it a chance.
  5. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I use the echo (PB605 though). Great Blower.
    Some other factors to consider: Which dealer is closer? Which blowers parts are most easily accessible? Have you demoed either one? Go to a dealer and ask to crank one up in the parking lot. Some like Chevy, some like Ford. To each his own.
    Can't go wrong with the echo.:cool:
  6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have both blowers and the echo pb 650 is stronger (alot stronger).
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Doogiegh - I forgot to mention - The cruise control is for when it's used as a jet propulsion system. Had to clean my spark plug and screen today because I could hardly get off the ground!
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a demo at an open house earlier this year that included just about every blower around. The Echo was just plain stronger (quite a bit). Some LCO's got their blowers out to try and beat it with no success. I believe the 650 would push a brick down the street.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Echo pb 603. It works well for me. The cruise control on it comes in handy when using it for extented periods. I have always used Echo products and had decent luck but plan to check out other brands when the time comes to replace my two cycle equipt. Not complaining about Echo but just checking out my options.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Have The 650. It's heavy It Eats gas. I did spring clean up's with it . it Is very powerfull And I can't wait to do fall clean up's with it.
    The left side controls let me put the tub rite in the bushes. The leaves didnt have a chance. It's also great for blowing wet grass or wet snow.

for regular Mowing i Use A br420 sthil magnum.