Doubler Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Planter, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have an older property on my irrigation maintenance route. It is a rather large commercial property with two newer small timers on culinary water and one older Rainbird ESP on secondary with a pump. They have done in-house maintenance for years and the property has been sold several times and remodeled even more. So, the bottom line is there are a bunch of missing station wires and buried valves.

I have one area that is on a doubler with another valve. We have been in every box we could find and can't find it. It waters a planter section in the parking area with some trees in it. I have seen wet grass, so I know it is getting water. The former sprinkler guy never could find the valve and says it takes a long time for the area to have the water come up. The owners are misers and don't want us to spend time chasing the valve. I'd like to double the station at the clock so I can better control the water.

Is there any test I can do at the clock to find the station with the doubler so that I can find it and trace the valve?

Thanks!

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

A true "doubler" is just a solenoid switch. It fires one side and then the other in order each time the clock sends it a signal. As to finding the wire that is "doubled", if it isn't looped in the clock, but in the ground you can still tell wich pair is doubled by using a jumper from the hot wire and SLOWLY firing each zone repeatedly. The one that fires two different areas is one of your wires, and then it will be repeated in another terminal, UNLESS they didn't pair the doubler on the clock. As to finding the doubler, it can sound just like another valve on a 521. The biggest problem in locating the doubler is that the solenoid in the doubler isn't pointing "up" like a regular valve. I would recomend connecting the 521 to the common and the ground side to the doubler station wire and walking the known wire path. You will be very close to the doubler when the signal becomes clear again.