Doubles and belts???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, May 8, 2003.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, question, how much extra strain does running doubles put on the belts? I'm assuming it is quite substantial. I installed doubles about two weeks ago. After doing so, within 30 minutes the original belt (which had about 36 hours on it) began to fray. I replaced it with another one and It's been working fine for the last 2-3 cuts. I just inspected it though, and noticed it too was starting to frey at the back edge where it runs around the tension pulley. Any ideas? Could the deck bouncing be causing this? the blades are balanced and eveything seems to be lined up. Any ideas?? TIA
  2. dwost

Somebody has to have some knowledge on this!! :)
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No problems with mine and doubles.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

I have not had any problems with belts or doubles dragging or adding extra tension. You might want to check all your tensioners and see if one is starting to go out and heat up.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That sounds like a good idea. Also they are at the proper tension right? If a belt slips it will wear prematurely alot. Any seized bearings will add more drag and wear and heat which adds wear (what Landguard said)
  6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know about the belts but I am sure it puts more wear and tear on the spindle bearings.
  7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the EXACT same problem once. I was out in the garage, just thinging my last thought "Well, I might as well take them off now, not helping my budget any" when I saw a can of what was called "Belt Dressing". It works like a miracle :blob3: Engaged the deck, held the can pinpoint extension up to the belt and counted to 10. Man, I'm tellin ya, it makes them babys flex like a dream. Not to mention they dont slip anymore either! No more premature wear and tear (and wear and tear on my wallet too at 38.99 a hit!!)
  8. dwost

I appreciate the input. I've used belt dressing on my drive belts to keep them conditioned, and never thought about adding it to the deck belts, I'll give that a shot as that's a great idea. Also, does everyone engage their blades a lowest rpm possible before bringing it up to full throttle? I've been doing this since I bought my mower last year, per a recommendation that it helps maintain the belt/electromagnetic PTO.....could this actually be CAUSING the wear?? Just a thought.
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have'nt any problems when I did do doubles, but I don't run them often, another thing is I ran 21"on the bottom and 16.5" gators on top maybe less strain on them this way.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i once accused exmark of changing to cheaper belts as i was getting about 3 wks or so a belt. later i found a tiny burr on my idler pulley. changed that pulley and havnt changed in over a yr. just a littls nick from a rock or something ,can cost a lot. just a thought.