Doubles and mulching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Apr 21, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Does anyone have double's and mulch with them? What's the blade set up?

Also...Should my mulch plate have holes in it so I don't get streaks? Right now I have two hi-lifts on and it streaked just a little bit.

Thanks

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I run doubles with a mulch kit. I've used several different combos.

Describe the mower, conditions and why you want to try doubles. Maybe I can make a good recommendation.

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Envy...Just my mower at home. It's an Ariens 8 pony 30" Rear engine rider. The thing works great with doubles, barely even takes more power than a single blade. Really I'm wondering what blade set-up I should have, I have no expirience with doubles and mulching.

deck 002.jpg

4. Envy Lawn Service

Sorry, haven't been on in a while, been real busy.

Hummm...? Well from the looks of it, it appears to be staying clean under the deck with the current blades. But maybe the picture was before adding the mulch kit because I don't see it on there.

The first thing to try is to align them into a perfect + pattern. Use a square and a pair of vise grips to hold the pattern right until the blades are on tight if necessary.

Now question... Did you get streaks running doubles and side discharging? By streaks I assume uncut grass.

If the + pattern doesn't work and you were getting a good cut running doubles side discharging, then I'd say you might have too much lift.

See if you can find a standard lift blade or one of those completely flat aftermarket blades they have out now. That should reduce the lift while retaining the mulching ability.

It's really all trial and error sometimes. I just get an idea and experiment a little usually.

My experience with stamped dome shaped decks has been that you can sometime create too much air flow resulting in blow down rather than lift (what I mean by too much lift). That type of deck "usually" will give the best cut, mulch best, stay cleaner and have less blowout with a Gator on top and OEM wave style mulch blades on bottom provided the bottom blade is not below the deck lip.

But trying what I mentioned first would be a cheaper experiment that may yield acceptable results.

Keep me posted!

5. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I was also wondering a good set-up for mulching leaves with a Lazer Z. I have the mulch kit and tried double factory mulching blades the ones that come with the kit but I get a lot of blowout. So I bought the anti-blow out baffle without success. I would appreciate any suggestions.

6. Envy Lawn Service

DieselDeere,

Don't feel bad, I have a small amount of blowout myself with just single highlifts. It's not bad though, just enough to blow those smaller dry leaves away before I can get to them. I think a small tweek in deck pitch might solve that.

Personally I think blowout is a trade off that comes along with a good cutting deck. Every one I've ever owned that cut well produced some and only got worse with doubles. The more air flow you create, the more blowout you have.

If you have a set of regular Gators around, throw those on and try them. You may even be able to use them on top of something else as long as it doesn't create to much air flow. Maybe Gators over Exmark mulchers will work better.

John Gamba has said many times that the Meg Mow blades solved the blowout on his Lazer. You may want to ask him directly about that. Also I think he was using those Raptor mulching blades. Tht might be an option also.

Hey is your avatar an X-Series? If so did I really miss out by passing up an X-475, mowing deck, 3 point hitch, under 50 hours....$6,000???

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

rv, have a question, and I'm not being smart aleck, just can't tell in your picture.
    Are you keeping your blades sharp?
    Other items to check and/or adjust till you find your 'perfect' settings.
    -Deck pitch, little lower in front. Also make sure deck isn't tilted to one side.
    -Mowing speed, depending on load being cut, may need to slow down or cut a narrower path by just a bit.
    -Throttle & blade speed, are you running at full throttle. Is mower operating as usual, any maintenance needed.

My blade set up is a Max Gator on top, and a reg High Lift on bottom, I use this almost exclusively.
    -------------------------------------------
    Also...Should my mulch plate have holes in it so I don't get streaks?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Mulch plate? No holes other than mounting ones.
    By streaks are you meaning uncut grass or trails of clippings ? Please define more.

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Old thread guys it was just something I was messing around with this spring. I have since bought a new lawn tractor to use at home. Now, since the course recently bought a used exmark metro for me I use that at home also.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try the rapters. The ones in front.
    John

829resized.jpg

10. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Three or six?