Doubles and premature belt/spindle wear

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CMLLawnServices, Aug 26, 2003.

1. I put a set of doubles on my Z tonite (lowlift over lowlift) and i cut a property and couldn`t be happyer with the results. Then my old man came out to see them and said , "take them off . you cant run those with such a narrow belt, and those bearings in your spindles are gonna get worn out alot faster. If they were so good the deck would have came with 6 blades instead of 3."
    I`m using standard airens/gravely parts from the dealer.
    Will they wear out the belts and bearings faster?

2. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I'm no expert in that area, but what your old man said sounds reasonable to me. When I was 16, if my old man had ever caught me asking someone else if he was right about something, he would have kicked my azz. So if someone on here tells you he is wrong, what are going to do? Are you going to tell him that some perfect stranger on the internet knows more than he does? See - right or wrong - us Dads like a little respect so be a good son and don't argue with your Dad. :) Just be thankful that he is around to give you advise - lots of kids - excuse me - young men - don't have that you know? By the way, I'm not trying to bust your chops. This is coming from a guy who usually did the opposite of what his Dad told him and now has a 16 year old son himself.

3. He isn`t either, I thought since so many guys who do this for a living use doubles , would have known more about this wear . I`m just as much in the dark about this as the old man is .
    if you don`t have anything to say that helps me , don`t put in please. I`m just defending my postition , not giving lip or disrespecting him . Is it wrong for me to defend my position?

4. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Yeah ok - well I'm sure someone who knows all about it will weigh in. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. Please forgive me.

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using double for four seasons without anything wearing out except the grass. I'd say put them back on.

Pero-Bravo.

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Im with you Likestomow ive been running them for yrs and have had no spindle problems, onece there going they seem to stay in balance just fine and they do wonders on those green shoots called grass......Marks Mowing Service

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's like anything mechanical,the more stresses you add to moving parts the sooner they will wear.How long?I don't think there is a definitive answer to that.Too many variables.But I wouldn't be afraid to run them,just wouldn't abuse it with the doubles on.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dude--which is worth more?

the beneficial effects of the doubles or the detrimental effectst of the doubles?

it is a dollar a cents thing.

do the math and let us know what you told your old man.

GEO

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You noticed a positive difference with doubles right. If you keep them sharp, BALANCED, bolted correctly, any bearings/pulleys lubed, belts tensioned correctly, you will probably not notice any greater mechanical problems than with singles. Just make sure you keep up with maintenance like you're suppose to, maybe even being a little more critical of belt tension until you get used to doubles.

Didn't take me long at all to go doubles, have not had to replace any spindle or pulley as yet (2 yrs).
    Tell Dad you'd like to use them for a while cause of the improved cutting quality, if mechanical problems related to doubles arise, you'll cross that bridge when you get there. :)

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I'm taking donations......

If you all are willing to kick in some cash, I'll buy two identical mowers (brand of you choice) and use them as test models. Of course, the best testing for a machine is in the field! We will find out which wears on a machine more, doubles or singles!

Acurate reporting promised!