doubles even

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Jun 16, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well it finally happened today. i go to take the blades off and a gator and standard are so enmeshed with each other, nothing would take it loose.the best i could do was get back to the t position with my hands 1/4 inch at a time,an sharpen them on the machine.
    as song says JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU NEVER CAN TELL. LATER

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

What are you using to take them off? Try an impact gun.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats the plan this monday. later

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If the impact does not get them loose, try this. Use a good quality 3/4" drive socket on a breaker bar and slip a 4'-6' cheater pipe over the breaker bar handle. This will either get it loose or break the head off of the bolt. I have never had much luck getting stuck blades off with an impact, and I use the big impacts at my friends tire store. Good luck.:)

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thanks mowingman ,but now you got me worried,sure hope my tire stores
    air wrench does the trick.if not im in for a big sweat,cause its gotta come off.thanks anyway ,later on

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you guys can't get your blades off with a good size impact gun, your doing something wrong!!! Make sure you clean off the threads on the bolt and inspect them before you put them back in. You might even want to put some neversieze in them. I've never had this problem before; but I do all of the above to prevent it.

Good Luck!

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

took it over to my sons impact set up. almost would not come off.
    finally he turned everything to the max and it broke loose.
    then found what i think was the problem, apparent grit in the threads mixed with anti sieze.remember it slipping out of my hand, when i was putting
    it on but the eyes are not as good and it must have been real dirty.
    if nothing else i learned how to make a bolt darn near unremovable.
    later on