Doubles Exmark question for Gamba

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Apr 5, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

You've been running them on EXMARK for some time so I thought who better to ask.

1. When is the best time to run doubles? When not to?
    2. What are the blade that you run & which do you place on top.
    3. Do you placw a felt washer between the 2 to eleviate slippage?

Everyone else is welcome, not trying to exclude but I've seen John's Pics and they are goood.

2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've seen your post on eXmark's for awhile, why do you in insist on using double blades?:confused: No one seems to reply!!:D

3. kaufmaninc

What's your beef anyways? Every post I've done has multiple replys, & only a couple have to deal with exmark.

"I've seen your post on eXmark's for awhile"
    How many? Try using the search key & you'll find only a few.

Why do I insist on doubles? You figure it out & you'll know. Knowledge is power. I want to be the best at what I do. I've seen too many companies going through the moves for tooo long. Customers & Corp's deserve way more!

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

It apears the great Exmark will not run doubles. I believe they will fit but if you tag something they torque tight as shirt since the nut is on the bottom. So everybody just says it cuts great without them.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Only Run doubles In Thicker Taller Cool season Grass Like Bluegrass. I Only Run Double High Lifts That Came With the Mower. No Spacers at all. DO NOT Try And run doubles In Thin Or Heat strested Grass You Will leave a Horrible Cut with Lots Of Blow Out. It Does Take More Power, Fuel, And wear And Tear On the mower.

This Picture Is The First Time I Seen a Difference with the doubles On. It Was Cooled,Wet And Growing, I Mowed Over It Twice And Bagged the Third time A Little Powder On Top, I Was Happy. If We Bagged It First we Would Have Been there All Day.

John.

img_0429 resized.jpg

6. kaufmaninc

John...thanks for the reply.

7. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

ok:blush: :blush:

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is just another view. I have such a difference with doubles, that in the right conditions that call for them I will never run singles for these applications. The main key is, running the right combo for the right conditions. Now, as gators were mentioned above, I have always found Gators to be more of a pain in Spring cutting than any help. Other than like THIS Spring, when we'll be using them for leaf cleanup, because there was so much that we didn't get picked up last Fall. But when it comes to the actual grass cutting of new Spring growth, Gators are just too much of a hinderance, even run with any other blade, because they just cause too much clumping. By this I don't mean large grass clumps, but with the wet new growth, you get tiny balls of wet grass, that don't leave a clean discharge. I have found that a highlift with a bi-level or tri-level mulching blade on top is the most productive combination. The discharge comes out with essentially, the consistency of grass seed. As the season goes on, and the grass slows down a bit, and it's dryer, we go back to single high-lifts (solid foil on Lazers). When Fall comes in again, then it's gators all the way run over top of High lifts. One thing to look for in running these blades, is when running any doubles, opt for the thinner and lighter blades so there is not as much blade drag. With two set of thinner gauge blades, it's just about like one set of thick ones. I think many people run these big heavy blades when running doubles, and like running two sets of highlifts (another downer), there is too much drag for preference. I hope this helps!:)

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

OH If You Have the Horse Power You can run double High Lifts All day Long. I Only Run The Kohler Fi's.
    John

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

All conditions and grass types are different. From a warm season grass guy, double seem to do nothing extra. Doubles on the encore made a huge difference, but not on the eXmarks. The only way to know for certain is experience. Every mower, grass type, and conditions are different. Happy Doubling!:)