Doubles on 12.5hp metro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by M&SLawnCare, Aug 29, 2007.

1. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. Just curious if anyone has tried running doubles on their 12.5hp 36" metro. I understand it adds stress to the spindles, its out of warentee, exmark doesn't recomend them and so on. What i'm wondering is if the lower HP motor can handle them without bogging down too bad/damaging it, expecually since i also use a sulky with it. Anyone try it and how did it perform? I'm initually thinking of highlifts on the bottom, gators on the top.
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

just try it see what happends
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Let us know the results
  4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I may not be a smart man, is he refering to using 2 blades per?? This does not sound wise to me. will it work? I would think it would shred a mower instead of cutting the grass.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done it and just as you planned on with high lifts and gators. It was no problem with the 12.5. I had spindle bearings going a little rough anyway and didn't notice any extra wear. It will be a little louder. Under deck noise, not bearings. (I think my bearings failed simply because they are cheap no name bearings installed, and probably not greased well as supplied.) Don't worry about the motor. Give extra attention to balancing your blades. I think I found I would engage the blades a little slower to start them spinning. I mean slower throwing the lever, not the rpm.
  6. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

Do you install them parallel to each other on each spindle, or in an X arrangment on each spindle ?
  7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

In an X pattern. I only ran them during leaf drop to help shred leaves and I've stopped the practice these last couple years. Also, I doubt it is approved of by any manufacturer, and could be a serious situation in the event of an accident causing harm or injury, so there is risk involved. My comment on the bearings was not meant to be a slam against eXmark at all. I considered the replacement of the bearings to be normal maintenance but changed them out with a higher value bearing when needed.