Doubles on 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maustm, Jul 24, 2009.

1. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Anyone run double blades on a 21? i was thinking a guy could use a single 21" highlift blade and add like a 16" gator blade with the same hole size. This might help cut up some clippings when side discharghing or even mulching. Let me know if you have done or tried this? i would think this would give a nice cut with the high lift and leave small pieces with the teeth on the gator blade?

Anyone? Beuller?

2. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Heintooga

Heintooga LawnSite Member

I haven't tried Gator Blades but I have a MicroCut and Snapper Ninja. I prefer the Snapper for mulching, bagging and side discharge.

4. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Forgive the image, but this is what I was thinking. What do you guys think, effective or a waste?

A standard high lift blade for a 21" mower with a smaller gator blade, same size center hole, but shorter lenght, 16" or so. i thought the smaller blade might shred clippings, but be lighter (less engine stress), while the high lift sucks the grass up for a nice cut. what you think.... did I blow your mind?

doubleblade21.JPG

5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I think that you will need alot more power than any 21 can handle I have a Snapper 21 with 6 hp Kawi and it struggles in thick gras sometimes.

6. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the Honda 21"s have double-blade systems as their standard, when I started out I bought two POSs, HRT or HRC (I forget) 216s, and they both came with the double-blade systems. Would not recommend the mowers at all, but I believe they left a good cut.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting concept !!

8. aahotard

aahotard LawnSite Member

seems to me like you may get some vibration because it wouldnt be balanced

9. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Power, doubt you will have power enough unless it came with them from the factory like Honda and the Snapper Ninga blades.