Doubles on a Gravely walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunder79, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Thunder79

Thunder79 LawnSite Member

Im just getting started out in the business everyone so bare with me. anyone got any input on trying to put a set of double blades on a 50in. gravely walk behind with a 14 horse Kawasaki engine on it?? think it has enough power for doubles?? ......Thanks
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Probably not enough HP there for doubles. If you do try it, go with the lowest lift you can get for it on at least one of the blades.
  3. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

How old is the deck? If it a newer deck you should be O.K., but older decks have a blade holder bracket that will not allow for doubles (like mine, sigh!)

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can hang up the idea of doubles on this machine. Been there, tried that. The 14 doesn't have nearly the power to turn 6 blades in any kind of grass. Not only that but the formed 50" Gravely deck is a relic from the past (it dates from over 30 years ago). This deck was designed back when machines were mostly run in 1st or 2nd gear and it will not cut thick or wet grass worth a darn.

Urban Earth, you can change the spindles out to the non-cradle type. The deck is identical no matter what year it was manufactured.

The deck on my 72 Gravely tractor was identical to the deck on my 98 Pro 150.
  5. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Richard, I am aware that you can change to the new design spindles, but the reason that I asked was to find out whether Thunder had the old or new spindles. My deck which is about 8 years old now has the cradle spindles. All of the newer decks have the new design.