Doubles on a JD 737

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green with envy, Sep 16, 2004.

1. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking about putting doubles on my Jd 737. 23 HP 60" cut.
    My thinking is original blades closest to the deck with gator blades closer to the grass. Also I don't think I would need to use the upper washer that came with the Gator blades then.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

2. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

I've tested a shorter in length Gator blade with the regular JD blade on my 737 with 54" deck. You definitely get more lift and the clippings fly very far out. In my case though I do alot of high end tightly landscaped residentials with alot of island beds and mulched tree rings and it's impossible to keep the clippings from going in the mulch. Tried these in combo with a Qwikchute but blowout and grass clump deposits were too much for me on these type lawns. I've just tried the JD mulch kit and a single GrassHawg mulcher blade rather than the JD mulching blade. This seems to be working better for me than using the JD mulching blade on those lawns with lush, thick turf. If you have wide open areas the Gator/JD double blade combo does work well and gives real defined stripes.

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to try the same double blade setup on my 727A, but here is the problem. On the original setup there is a lip that the blade slides up onto and the bolt is then tightened down. If you add a lower blade the hole is larger than the bolt and will not have the lip to fit up onto. How do I find a spacer to fill this gap on the lower blade since the bolt is smaller than the opening of the blade hole.

Thank you.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure I'm following you on this. How would the hole of the bottom blade be larger than the bolt, or the hole of the top? Are they not the same arbor size? I know what you are saying about the lip, as it has a "cradle" that the blade fits up into, right? My Gravely is like that, and I had my cradles machined to hold another overlapping blade. I this what you are talkiing about, is having space between you two blades because of the lip of the cradle protruding down farther than the thickness of your top blade?
    Also, for Mike, for the gator combo, if you think about it, the main highlight of Gators is the teeth on the fin. These are the function of the blade. If you put the Gators on bottom, those teeth are right in plane with the top blade, taking away material from their path. It seems like it would be more efficient to put the Gators on top so the teeth are free and clear. The material all makes it's way up to the top of the deck, anyway. This is how I run mine - just a thought.

5. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

For the bottom blade you use a blade with a smaller hole size than the JD blade, it fits the bolt snug. I have used blades off my 36" Metro for the 2nd blade, hole size fits the bolt exactly.

6. gl1200a

OK, That makes sense. I was considering getting a spacer (where at I have no idea) to fill the gap between the bolt and the extra space in the enlarged blade center hole.

Now the next question... what balde do you run on the top and one balde do you run on the bottom?

Thank you so much.

7. gl1200a

But, if I could find the correct spacer then I could run all JD fit blades and not have to buy ones that won't work for me on the Z-Trak by themselves. Any ideas about locating a spacer?

Thank you.

8. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

I run doubles on my 777. If you go to your local hardware store you should be able to find a steel ring that will fit inside the blade bolt hole and the I.D. as the bolt. I put two of these on the bolt set the blades on and make sure everything is seated right.

9. gl1200a

Thanks, Todd!