doubles on a toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EHesseyLawns, May 8, 2002.

1. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

i have toro walk behinds, how can i run doubles on them? or is it possible? how do i assemble this setup?

2. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

Personally...I wouldn't. My 62" Z is in the shop now because a spindle went bad (less than 200 hrs). I don't think doubles would have help the situation any. That's just MY opinion.

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I tried 'em on my 52" When I would engage the clutch - it sounded like it was going to fly apart!

Double low lifts will do ok. I just took off that stupid cradle and put the blades in a "+" configuration.

I have high lifts under it now...single blades on each spindle. They seem to do good, I'll try 'em out more this week end....
    well maybe, I'll probably be too busy on something that starts with X and ends with mark! :p

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a post with the part number near the bottom of the high lifts...
    Toro Blades

Toro also has a"super high lift, but my dealer didn't have them. They didn't say why, and I didn't ask.

Those blades cost nearly 50 dollars. :eek:

5. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I've been runnin' doubles on a Toro 44" w/b for a year now with no problems. Fortunatly, i have access to a plasma cutter and cut another set of grooves 90* from the original in the anti scalp cups. This allows me to still use the cups, also insuring that the blades stay aligned.
    I turned the R.P.M.'s up to 3650 with the blades on. I usually run a Toro standard blade on bottom, and a Toro "atomic" mulching blade on top(same as a gator).
    B.T.W. i have a 15 horse Kohler on it.