Doubles on a walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnchoice, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

All -

I have read quite a bit about doubles to allow a nice clean cut and to mulch up very nicely.

My question do they work on a walk behind?

One of my mowers is a Scag 52/14KA Hydro and was wondering if anyone has done a double setup on these before??

How did it work?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Choice, my machine is a 22hp/52"er...and it barely has enough hp to turn doubles. You are correct in the performance of doubles, But I believe you'll be dissapointed with your scag's performance.. You'll never know until you try though.. BTW my machine did poorly with double high lifts, But it is doing better with High-lifts on bottom, and Raptor mulchers on top..This seems to be my ideal combo so far.. Experiment and be your own judge.

As far as how they cut.. It is excellent, with the clipping size and dispersal I felt the machine should have had stock...
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv'e run doubles on a 14hp 36" ,a 20 hp 52" , and a 23hp 48" but 14hp on a 52" probably isn't enough hp for doubles on that big of a deck. You could try it and see how it works.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Doubles on my 17 hp kawi with a 52" deck can really bog down the engine.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You do need big hps. Thats why i like the Super walks. I have a hard time in heavy grass with doubles on my 04 TT23 60
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I had the EXACT same mower last season. I pulled a wheeled sulky with it and it did OK with that. I did run doubles on it alot, put a gator on top of standard lift blade. did it mainly to increase discharge performance and to chew up clippings better, and it did that. Now, yes it did suck power to do all of this and i wouldn't recommend it really. But i did it and it did OK. Had to go slow in tall growth. If your walking behind the mower i'd say it'll work OK.
    Now, even on my eXmark TTHP when i had the 52" deck on and 17hp V twin kaw, it powered doubles fine but now that i have my Ferris 52/23 it seems like the eXmark probably struggled more than i realized, but it always did ok.
    so, you could try it, but you need to go with the most power economical setup you can think of- for me i chose gator over standard blade and it worked great. thats all i've ever used on any of my mowers really, just my favorite combo.
    good luck,
  7. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info !

I will give it a shot just to see what happens, doesn't hurt.

That machine doesn't have a velke anymore so power shouldn't be as bad a problem.

8. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running doubles (gator over a standard lift) on a 60" TT with a 22HP Kohler and I cannot imagine going back to a single blade.

I agree the 14HP might be a bit small for a 52" with doubles but you might as well give it a shot. Best of luck.
  9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a LOW LIFT blade on the bottom.
  10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Never thought about running double blades before,seems like hp is a major issue with them. I am running 18 to 20 hp 52" hydro Scags. My thought was, which I intend to try is to only double the discharge blade with a Gator Blade( name your brand) on top with a regular blade on the bottom and this should eliminate the hp issue but not too sure if this would help in the dispersol of clippings. Anybody try this before?