Doubles or Mulch Kit for Fall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I currently running a 48 inch Exmark TT HP (17HP Kawi) with a mulch kit. I was wondering if any of you guys can tell me from experience how well it will mulch leaves. It does O.K. with the few that are falling now, but will I be better off with doubles when they really start to come down?

I can't run doubles with the mulch kit without getting blow-out, can I?

I'm leaning toward discharging with doubles so I will still be able to bag as needed...not an option with the mulch kit on.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I put gators on with the mulch kit on my metro during the fall. It will chop leaves into dust. You can handle a decent amount of leaves this way. Once they really dump all the leaves you could then go to side discharge and bagger.
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Hoss, what kind of leaves are you dealing with down your way? I bet the mulch kit would vaporize the soft wood leaves, but wonder how they would be on Oak? If they oak have moisture, they are like leather, and don't break down so well. I am considering a mulch kit too, just not sure if it will save me lots of time with all the oaks.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We have a lot of Oaks. I have a 30 yr old Oak in my front yard. I didn't bag any leaves last year. I drove the w/b over them every week and mulched them into the fescue and Zoysia. It would demolish them and shoot them to the soil. You should probably talk to someone in your area that has used the mulch kit for at least 1 season maybe 2 to find out how it does in your area.