Doubles photos

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have under deck photos of double blades that they can post?
    I am still not sure of the benefits, and I am a little unsure of how they appear once mounted.

Thanks
    Jim

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

They appear like this +

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go Into www.walkermowers.com And Go Into Prouduct's Then deck's and look at Mulching deck 42". And they are worth it in taller wetter grass . What mower Are You putting them On?

4. Jimbo

36" Scag WB and possibly 52" Scag ZTR.

5. Jimbo

John,

Thanks for the link!

I guess my questions would be.....

1. Are there spacers between the blades? How thick etc?

2. Are both blades still free spinning, because if they are they wont be in that position long.

3. Which type blade goes on top and bottom?

4. What would be minimum engine HP to turn doubles?

thanks
    Jim

6. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

Jimbo,
    I am running doubles on a Scag 48" WB w/ 14hp Kaw and a 52" Scag Tiger w/23hp Kaw. Both units work fine with doubles. Just stack the blades on top of one another - no spacers in between.

For the WB I moved one of the 1/4" spacers to the top of the deck.

On the Tiger I purchased 9 1/4" spacers and replaced the 1" spacer that came on the unit. Stack all three washers on top of the blade.

I run the gators on the top and OEM or high lift on the bottom.
    Shayne

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yeah What Shane Said.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

What Shane said, but I found, on my Scag at least, that the blade bolt is not long enough to replace the nut with two blades unless you remove one of the spacers. No big deal as the spacer thickness is pretty much the equivalent of the blade thickness. I just keep the extra spacers in my toolbox for when I run singles.

9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Just stack the blades so they make a +. I dont use spacers in between but some people do. Just make sure the bottom blade is still at the same height since you are basically adding a extra quarter inch due to the second blade you are putting on so you are going to have to take off a quarter inch spacer to make up for it. Just tighten them down like you normally would. The only time the blades move out of the + pattern is when I hit a big stick or something in the yard . So just check them every once in a while.

Lasher

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

go to elmsite. u will get the full dope on the subject.