Doubles Update and Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pulpit46227, May 6, 2002.

1. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

I ran doubles for the first time yesterday on my Ransomes/bobcat 36 inch and they did a fairly good job. I need to mulch quite a bit because I mow some tight areas with landscaping on both sides and need to keep clippings out of the flower beds etc. I ran standard blades on the bottom and gators on top. I would like to hear what blade combinaiton has worked best for you guys and what blade combination has worked best for mulching.

Thanks

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

You probably won't get much response on this because it has been discussed many, many times - use the search function, but I think the setup you tried first is most common.

3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I ran my blades in the same order you did and they do a great job. I notice the grass shoots out a lot further now so it is a little tougher around mulch beds, but otherwise they shred that grass up. I was wondering if i were to put a spacer between the blades if that would help more or not.

Lasher66

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

if you use mulchers on the bottom, the grass won't shoot out quite as far. personally, i like the grass to shoot out a good distance(i think it allows the grass to spread out more evenly
    .) for the bottom blades, we use two mulching blades, and a straight one at the discharge chute. we had our blade setup like that even before we began using doubles this spring.

when we first started using doubles on the 48", i didn't like having six mulcher type blades underneath, because it seemed that it left baseball size clumps, once we put the straigh blade back on the end, problem solved.