doubles usage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foxslawncare, May 2, 2002.

1. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

I finally got everything I need to run doubles tonight. On mower and ready for tomorrow. First time I have used doubles, test will be tomorrow. All you guys swear by them, so givin a try. Have to say I did mow my front yard before dark and was impressed. Have reg blade on bottom, bracket and then gator on top. Worked well on test run. Kevin
  2. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I'd be interested in hearing what type of mower your running the doubles on?
  3. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

I just started using doubles this year. I have noticed the clippings are mulched very well. However, there are a lot of clippngs blowing out the front of the mower. This was never a problem before. I have my mulching kit on which closes the discharge chute which may contibute to the problem. Also, my mower gets clippings all over it in no time. Any one else experience this?
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yes. I tried to run doubles and the mulch kit at the same time on my 36" Exmark last fall to mulch leaves. Way to much blow out! I couldn't stand it.
    I took off the mulch kit. In the future I'll only run one or the other, not both.
  5. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a 61" Chariot and get a lot of blow out in front of the deck with doubles also. I had been running them for so long that now that I put singles back on I feel like I am on a different mower.
  6. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

Kirmick I'll be running them on a scag 25 kohler 52" deck. I have heard not to use the muclh deck with doubles for that factor(blowout).
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have my mulching kit on which closes the discharge chute which may contibute to the problem.

Yep, it's either the mulch kit or double blades. I've tried using both at the same time on a Snapper and on an Exmark. I prefer using just doubles, it's a better quality cut by far over a mulch kit, and you can cut thick grass with them without taking the mulch plate(s) off.
  8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

A mulch kit should NOT be run with double blades. They are just not made to go together. There is too much blow out, and the kit is made to work the best it can with a single mulching blade.
  9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I have a 36" Bunton and a 52" Bunton rider, if I put doubles on ,do I just stack them against each other in a X shape or do I need any kind of spacers in between the 2 blades? Thanks

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Lasher66, you JUST posted in another thread yesterday that answers the exact question you just asked. Read the thread you posted in (entitled "doubles").