doubles with a mulch kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 52" Hustler Z that has a mulch kit on it. Do you guys run doubles with mulch kits? I put the mulch kit on last week and have been using a stock hustler blade. Would it be smart to put a gator blade on too? Or should I try just the gator blade by itself?

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I've run mine several ways
    1) gators (they are the Gravely version that came with the kit)
    2) high lifts
    3) high lift/gator doubles

All three work, I think the best cut on mine is achieved with the high lifts only. The dedicated mulchers work great on leaves and if there is not a ton of growth. The doubles also work well, however, a bit too much lift and airflow causing some blow out.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My blade experimenting has been with a 36 Exmark TTHP. w\mulch kit.
    Adding gators to the top of Exmark wavy mulching blade caused a grass trail to develop between the two blades[uncut grass]. Exmark Excaliber solid foil blades [singles]put all the grass on the right blade and left a trail down the right side. Snapper Ninja blades did the same thing only this time it was with leaves. My conclusion is the Exmark wavy mulching blade works best for me, and only using one blade. I have tweaked the mulch kit with a few changes under deck to tighten up the cut which I am very happy with. These changes only improved my cut so going to the Exmark blade with any similar [to Exmark ] mulching kit should give you good results. The wavy blades are a very good design in my opinion.
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have a blow out kit. I am looking for the best setup for leaves. I can't remember if I had gators or stock blade on last fall. I do know I only had one blade and it worked good.

My problem now, is we have gotten a lot of rain lately and the leaves are a little matted. I'm think the doubles will help lift the leaves up out of the grass. Most lawns are not growing to fast right now.