1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, May 3, 2005.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

How efficient would it be to run doubles on a mower in the spring? Have never tried it before. Any drawbacks besides more gas and engine stress? We would be running them on a 52" Stander with a 23HP Kawi. Thanks!
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I run doubles 99% of the time. they do take some power butI ran them on a 52" walkbehind wiht 20hp and it handled it fine.
    Doubles do a great job of rudicing the size and volume of clippings.
    I ran two sets of standards this spring. Now I am running gators over standards and will probably stick with that combo through fall.
    If it gets real dry or I am dethatching the gators make more dust so I go back o the double standards.
  3. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I tried out doubles for the first time yesterday. Put gators on top of my standard blades and went to work. The first yard I did I was amazed this yard always leaves grass laying on top but this time it was cut up so fine it did not show and my stripes were the best they had ever been. The mower is a Scag 36" wb with a 12 1/2hp kaw engine and other then a little more noise I noticed no change in power.
  4. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I just installed gators over regular high lifts this year for the first time. So far I'm very happy with them. I run them on a Scag 48" 17hp Kawi hydro and I haven't noticed any loss of power. I also think that the mower stripes even better now and I don't have a striping kit.

I suggest to try it out and see what happens.
  5. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

is there a significant difference in the striping of the lawn when you go to doubles. i have scag walkbehinds and a tiger cub. my plan is to go gators on top and factory on the bottom. will my stripes be more noticable? any testimonials?
  6. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

What about wear and tear on the spindles? With doubles void the warranty?
  7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Padude2004, I think that there is a difference in the striping with doubles. However, it is hard for me to do a true comparison because I started out the season with doubles so the stripes just appear to look more pronounced from what I remember them looking like last year. I remember finishing my lawn and taking a step back and saying "Wow, this looks really good."

I will keep the doubles on for they do shred the grass better. I am running gators over Scag factory blades.

As far as wear and tear on the spindles and voiding the warranty, I believe that this issue has been discussed many times. As far as know, it does not void the warranty on the spindles. As long as the blades are balanced, it should not wear the spindles any faster.
  8. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

I am running a 61 stander with full
    mulch kit. double standard blades
    and a 23 hp kawi.

Lawns never looked better, everyone
    around here has grass on top this time of year
    except me. It disappears even with
    heavy wet stuff. Stripes are extreme
    but not my thing. (I prefer uniformity)

It does bog down (looses rpm) probably not great for the
    engine. I may switch to single gators and
    will report if I do.

I do not know if the bogging is because of the
    mulch kit or the doubles as I added both at the
    same time. I already know that the 23 hp
    is marginal for the 61" deck.

PTO engage is no problem with the doubles.

Also lots of stuff to scrape off the inside top of the deck,
    but no clumps and nothing to scrape off the baffles.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have run double gators for two years now on 17hp kawi 52" standers. So your 23hp stander will turn them just fine.
  10. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

IF your worried about the warranty..... Who knows you were running doubles? ha ha Just take them off if you have to go in for repairs. They wont be able to tell if you were running doubles. Anyways i been running doubles on my Bunton ZTR 52" for 3 years know and havent noticed anything different in wear and tear on my machine. Even if I had to replace the spindles every few years, I think it would be worth it. So for so good. I did lots of reading on doubles and I dont think I ever read anything about someone going through problems because of doubles. (unless there machine couldnt handle them because of HP, etc.. )