Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Apr 17, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just a quick wd on doubles . if you are having problems with oinions or dandelions , go to doubles. didnt see but one dandelion left standing in 5 lawns today. beats the heck out of going back to get the little creeps.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

We don't have dandelions out yet, but plenty of wild onions. However, I see many of them not cut off cleanly, especially if the front caster runs over them. Having said that, part of the problem here today, and yesterday, was dampness - the turf has been very damp and wet.

In a related question, any comments from anybody on the merits of running doubles when the grass is very damp, bordering on wet? With doubles, the underside of the deck is usually kept cleaner. However, with doubles the grass is chopped more finely, creating a bigger "mush" when wet. I continued to run doubles the past two days, even though the grass was very damp (got snowed out 2X today!). I considered taking the Gator off, but never did. The underside of the deck gathered heavy accumulation. It may have been worse with singles.
  3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke with Exmark about this very issue the other day as it is rare when I can cut dry grass. I agree with AWM that the doubles chop the dandelions up great, but I have been getting a pretty heavy buildup under the deck with the wet conditions.

I have been using a high lift Exmark or Dixie Chopper blade sharpened razor sharp on the bottom and a Gator or Exmark mulching blade on top and asked what I could do to reduce the amount of buildup under the deck. The factory guy recommended their 'low lift airfoil' and also their new 'bahia blade', both used as singles. He felt that the lower lift of these blades would reduce buildup although probably not side discharge as far as the hilifts. He kind of hemmed and hawed about using doubles--I think they're still making up their mind about them. Two other points we discussed;

They recommend sharpening the blade at 27 degrees.

They STRONGLY recommend balancing blades accurately. He told me that they have seen mower decks which were cracked completely around the spindle due to unbalanced blades! The spindles haven't worn out, the deck was ready to fail completely due to the wobble of unbalanced blades. Made me think that I might take up Dixie1's plan and get one of those Magnamatic balancers [I'm using Eric's ball bearing program now]. My new LazerZ is going strong! Will
  4. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I was having a bad problem with grass building up under the deck of my Hustler Short Cut (48"sd) with single high lift blades. I went to doubles using two standard lift blades and now it really keeps the underside of the deck clean. It does ocassionally spit out a big wad of grass, but what can you expect when grass is growing 4-5 inches a week here now.
  5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Gosh i love to be the ever present antagonist. (j/k) I had a real problem with doubles cutting dandelions. It left most of them two inches at least above the lawn. Looked horrible. I am also experiencing some serious blow out. I am borrowing Grassroots Landscaping (another member on here as well) 27 HP liquid cooled Lazer on mondays and Tuesdays. Only because he isnt currently mowing on them days. Anyways, i get COVERED with grass while mowing at any speed greater than about 5mph. Currently we mulch with Exmark mulch blades and gators on there. I was thinking about ditching the mulchers and getting highlifts put on with the gators.

has anyone else had either of these problems? how did yall fix em if ya did?
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you got a lazer ,i got a lazer,sounds like our set ups must be different
    mabe the deck design is different on the 60.
    do you have the deck 1/4 lower in front.
    id like to see it work for you as it allowed me to
    mow at regular speed thru dandylions without overmowing.
    luck to ya
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

it occured to me that you may have blade set
    up that creates too much draw,this could mabe cause
    a blow back cause the volume of air got to go somewhere
    i use standard on bottom an gator on top.
    if you try this let us know results as i was thinking of trying gators w highlifts or something
  8. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

I run a Lazer HP, and I was wondering if running double blades is good for the electromagnetic clutch. Seems like it would be a lot of strain on it. I have to run over yards twice to cut it most of the time. I'm tired of the single blades. Which do you recommend for a 48" Lazer HP? And does Exmark make a double blade attachment on the spindle? How do you get the blades on the spindle? Thanks for the help!
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

What's with all of you with dandelions? A professionally cared for lawn doesn't have dandelions. ;)

kidding :)

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ryan ,the electric clutch is the one thing id change on mine. doubles requires a little more rpm to engage without stalling. but it hasnt seemed to effect it any. still id rather have manual engagement. remember the bottum blade is the only one needs to be real sharp.It amazes me that the bottom blade does almost all the cutting sinse the are only 1/4 inch different, but that is the case.also its proving important to keep deck clean of buildup to take advantage of the doubles advantage.