Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pulpit46227, May 1, 2002.

1. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

How do you run doubles? Spacer involved? Could I run doubles on a 36-inch Ransomes/Bobcat?
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Place them in an "X" pattern. No spacer. Yes you can run them on a 36" mower.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Be careful with Gator highlifts. If you don't have the correct spacers or not enough of them you will hit the baffle director for the shoot exit. This is a problem with Bobcats and Hustlers.
  4. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Watch It...This is also a problem with Scag. Even with high lift's you must have at least 3 spacers above the blade.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just for the record, I meant no spacers between the blades themselves. This is what I thought he was asking.

A good heads up by you guys regardless.
  6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

gogetter just wondered why you put the doubles in the X pattern, ive always put mine in the + pattern like eric always used. Ive been using this pattern now for 3yrs and it does a awsome job. I run doubles on my new scag and only use a 5/8" washer between the blades,mine don't hit the baffels. Marks Mowing Service
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:D Just a thought.. The x is probally a sideways cross + !!!:D
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Mark, 90 degree angles to each other "X" "+" same thing (at least the way I make my "x's"). LOL!
  9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I never heard of using doubles. I have a 36"Bunton and a 52" Bunton rider, Can I do that with these? and does it make of big difference using doubles?Thanks

10. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we have been using doubles since the beginnig of this year on both our 48' walk behinds , and 61" zt223 bobcat mowers.

this is the third week using them now, and we had to expirement to figure out the best blade combination.

now that we have figured out the best combination, all i can say is WOW! it rained all night last night, and this morning the grass was soppy wet. i was completely amazed at the lack of clumps after the second cut(we double cut our smaller residential yards as a general rule)

on the 48" bobcat, we have found that gator blades on top, and 2 mulching blades on the bottom, wth a straight blade at the discharge chute to be the best performing of our different combinations we have tried. yes, youdo need a spacer between the spindle, but we have always done that anyways.

onthe 61" ZT223, we have found that gators on top,and mulching blades on the bottom perform best. one thing we did learn during experimenting with the riders was that you CANNOT use a high lift blade as any part of this combination. i believe that the high lift blade is too heavy to combine with another blade. on occasion with the high lift blade, the engine would bog out, and even stall. of course, the first 2 weeks mowing this season, the grass has grown faster than ive seen it grow in years. lots of rain, and 80 degree temperatures will do that.

the doubleblade setup is now going to be a permanent fixture for us.