Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by h-man, May 9, 2003.

1. h-man

h-man LawnSite Member

I was thinking of putting doubles on my bobcaut walkbehind 48", and my dealer said they never did such a thing. Is this something that is not supposed to be done, or will cause damage to machine (Belts or spindles)? Any help would be appriciated.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Putting doubles probably voids your warranty. However, many of us do it without any problems. My dealer doesn't like it, and I have gone through spindles faster than I should have really. But that cost is justified by the time saved by the increased performance I have experienced using double blades. So you will have to decide if you are OK with those issues.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Most dealers and mechanics and even engineers can't use these machines cay after day after day in all conceivable conditions. When we do something to try to make them perform better they can't understand why we don't think there machine is perfect already like the manufacturer told them. The ones selling them don't like it when we "customize " our mowers. It makes their design look inferior. Which sometimes it is. I told my dealer I was using doubles He was like but they take too much power. I told him I do loose a couple hundred rpms in thick stuff but it cuts soooo much better I can handle running a bit slower if it means I don't have to double or triple cut.

Some of us treat our mowers (especially Walkbehinds) like bikers treat their hogs. We just can't leave them stock. WE have to put our personal touch on them with double blades, sulkies, grass catchers, lights, custom bumpers, different tires, better seats, spreaders, sprayers, ........ and the list goes on and on.