Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mikesjumpingin, Jun 3, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Okay, should I stay away from doubles? The lawnsite search was making my head spin. Just wondering what Exmark had to say about blades.

Next question: What are options for blades in addition to the ones that came with my mulch kit?

I was thinking about buying a second set so I can rotate blades two times a week and then sharpen on the weekends.

48" metro hp
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

On the subject of double blade we'd hafta say it's a bad idea.

Try this link or you can do a search of the Exmark forum on "double blades" there are several others out there.

We do offer several blades for side discharge or bagging applications however we only offer the one blade for mulching. This blade we feel is the best all around blade we’ve tested for mulching.

It is a good idea to get a couple extra sets of blades. I would recommend keeping an extra set on the truck as well for those occasions when you inadvertently hit something that damages the blade.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark is one of several manufacturers who are afraid of double blades, and what they think they might do to their "tough" commercial mower. They give you the standard disclaimer"we can't endorse the use of...."

Each mower will respond differently to different blade combos. If you get a couple extra sets of blades then try some double combos and see for yourself if they cut better or worse than singles.

I have a 36" lesco. completely different deck design than exmarks .

what works best for me is doubles with gators on top, standard on the bottom of the left side and high lift on the bottom of the right side. I loose some rpms with the extra load but the cut is so much better in ALL conditions and situations that I run doubles 90% of the time.

I guess my point is that many manufacturers haven't tested their mowers with double blades so they won't say it's ok to use them mostly for liability reasons.