Doubles?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by CNE, May 26, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Hey Terry, I have seen alot of posts about guys running double blades on their mowers. Does this affect the warranty of the mower if done correctly? Does it put too much added stress on the spindles? Do you have a recommendation of which blades to use? I have a 60" Lazer with the 23 HP Kohler. You know, the one with the squeaky park brake (hint, hint). I have discovered if I soak it with WD40, it shuts up but it sure attracts alot of dust. Thanks, Mack

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

CNE,

Running doubles won't really effect your warranty however we don't recommend running doubles.

When you lower the blade in the mower deck you may be able to create a situation that would prevent the mower from meeting the ANSI specs. We've tested double blades and even offered a kit many years ago. We've found that the deck works pretty well with singles. You may find that simply switching to a different blade profile may accomplish what you want.

Thanks,

Terry

3. erock53

erock53 LawnSite Member

I'm new to this forum and am fairly new to the business. What are doubles supposed to accomplish? I know that there would be 2 blades on each spindle, but would it make it cut better? faster? discharge better? or what? I have singles on my 48 fixed metro and they seem to work fine.

4. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

So what about that park brake issue Terry?

5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Um, Terry, sorry to butt in here. I "think" (therefore i am?) that i was told once that doubles had a greater wear on the bearings in the spindles and that Exmark would not cover them under warranty since it was not being run "owners manual" so to speak. I am not sure i am remembering that correctly, but i think i am. It was why i only ran doubles for a short while. Well, that and i couldnt afford anymore broken windows. lol.

If it WAS covered i would most definately try double mulchers. Perhaps the new exmark mulchers and the standard blades. MUHAHHAHA!

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Acute,

Good point. The doubles can increase the load on the bearing and if the bearings fail because of that then they would not be covered because there was no "defect".

Thanks,

Terry

7. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

What are you guys trying to achieve with doubles? The reason I ask is my 60 inch Z with sharp blades is an awsome cut, I see no need what so ever for doubles.... I mean think about it we already have 36 dollars worth of blades and you want to trade them of for 72 dollars worth plus the cost of three longer blade bolts... I just dont get it ,seems like a waste of money and unnessaary wear and tear on the mower.....

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

For myself personally.............? I would like to have the best of both worlds somehow. I would like to have the look of the lawn that bagging does (with the grass lift and all) but i would also like to mulch like a monster and never see clippings. I am not doing too bad on the clippings part. I agree that my machines cut well as well. But, we can always dream of and look for something just a hair better right?

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I used doubles on my fixed 04 turf tracer today and it had the best cut ever. exmark should look into the 27 Kohler so it can run them better in the taller grass. You can keep it at 6.7 but running doubles and a sulky it could be at 7.5 so it will top out under load at 6.5.

I also timed it against the 02 lazer FI 60" and it was the same time on the same lawn and i only had to carry one mower(i had to carry two mowers because of a hill on the prop).

More soon!!!!!
    John

10. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I hear ya on that it bothers me also to see clippings, so much that I double cut all my lawns. I also do a lot of bagging for that extra clean cut look. This year I start every day with sharp blades and a clean deck it works for me. I personely think the idea of bolting an extra blade on is unnessassary for a real nice cut...