1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Down for the count

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Pulled muscles in my back trimming a large row of forsythias yesterday. Every time I take breath feels like I'm getting stuck with a knife. Standing on my ladder over extending both arms straight out with heavy trimmers. I should have known better.:cry: :cry: Hurts so much I have a hell of a time just climbing in and out of the truck. What is a good alternative to hand held trimmers? Is there an attachment for a trimmer that would be easier to use? I thought I saw a guy using something like that for hedges on a hill.. Let me know what you guys use for shrubs that are out of reach. I can't keep doing them the way I was.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, they make one kind for the Fs-85 Stihl weedtrimmer which may fit some other models but whether this is any easier...?

Have you tried wearing an orthopaedic back support, such as the ones worn for lifting? Not sure if this would help, but just some ideas...
  3. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

Not sure of your age/overall shape, but exercising is a great way to prevent those things; eg weight training. Give it a try after you heal. You will feel better.
  4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

^^^^^ Good point. I hurt my back with the same pain you are talking about and takes about a week to recover. At that time i was not so active at work.
    After that i started to strech and work my back more, plus i purchased a nice matress for our bed and all this helps. Sometimes i will pull that same muscel and can feel the pain in the same spot when breathing. I feel for you cause after seeing the doc the first time i barley made it back to my house it hurt so bad.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

6. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I can fit it into budget if I cut out some other spending.. That is just what I'm looking for. I can hold it some what close to my body and not over extend.. Perfect. Thanks. Also, time to start doing some stretches... To much time on the Zzz..
  7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I use my bucket truck...:laugh: :headphones: :cool2: :usflag:

Hope you get better...:weightlifter:
  8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I use a split boom with trimmer and hedger attachments.
    BTW you had better get your back fixed or you're screwd up for good.
  9. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, I also use a split boom.
  10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I bought the Stihl Kombi system this year. KM 110 with the hedge trimmer, pole chainsaw and sythe. They are great tools.