1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Down for the count

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ozd12005, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

After many problems this season my 21" commercial 6hp kaw hi vac snapper mower had the engine seize in the middle of my route yesterday. Finished up with my back up mower and stopped by the dealer on the way home only to find that he's so backed up with repairs (the owner is now the only salesman,repair guy,phone guy etc.) and siad it would be a few days before he can even look into what the problem is. I responded with asking for a loaner/ demo unit to get me through untill I get mine back and he simply said he doesnt have one available.

I left the shop in amazment thinking I gave this guy my business and bought a commercial unit from him and now I'm left to fend for myself to finish the season :angry: :angry:
  2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Reality check..If you are fending for yourself cuz your mower is down for the count, you (with all due respect) need to revisit your biz plan. If you are backed up due to this issue(s), why is not okay that he is backed up due to his issue(s)? I am not judging you, just playing devils advocate.
  3. ozd12005

Maybe you need to read my post "I finished up the day with my back up mower" The mower is down for the count not my business. I was looking for a loaner/ demo mower so I have 2 on the trailer.
  4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I feel for you bro, but liquidfast has a point! You have to be prepared for these kind of setbacks!

I almost cringe when I heart guys talk about trading in their old mowers for a new one... KEEP IT AS A SPARE! It may be worth it's weight in gold someday!
  5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

My bad....now what about the other question? *trucewhiteflag*
  6. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

sadly when a car dealer sends you out in a rental at your expense because a 40,000 car broke under warranty I would probably not be expecting the lawnmower shop to have a loaner....not saying you are wrong for asking or wanting that....just saying that is the state of consumer and "commercial" products today :(
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

These engines should be a very standard unit, with a replacement easily found off the shelf. Go to:

and get a new one. Engine replacement is not a difficult task, and does not take very long. I'm sure there are other places to get these standard engines.

You don't mention anything about the condition of the mower. If it is in good shape, repowering may be the simplest and quickest solution.
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, but why did you think you would get a loaner?
  9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a question....was it under warranty?if i can not get your mowers out next day i will provide a loaner if it is under warranty.but a 21"? i dont have one and i think other deales will be in the same boat.you see our loaners are most times our demos and companys that sell us the mowers dont give us the option to have a 21"demo.even if they did we would lose a w.a.w.b. or a rider demo over it.
  10. ozd12005

How am I not prepaired ? Because I dont have a 3rd mower ??? also I never stated I was getting rid of it or trading it in.

Also this unit is under warrenty so replacing the engine is not something I'm going to do even if it is quick and easy.

My main point to my original post was to vent about the dealer, He had a phone girl and atleast 3 repair guys working in the back and he was the salesman. Now he is the only one in the shop left to do everything. When I dropped the mower off I waited 20 mins for him to finish up with a customer before even speaking to him (which means nothing else is getting done)