Down sizing equipment size to become more efficient??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KrayzKajun, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Hollowellreid

Hollowellreid LawnSite Senior Member

It is a good little get up.

We have had the RC/PT series in one form or another for 10 years now. The new one we got that lifts higher is quite nice....the old one would struggle to load a full size dump sometimes. The build quality has improved greatly but still not that of the big machines it would seem. oh well. These loaders will run circles around any of the walk behind/stand on things any day all day. You get what you pay for.

The little mini skid deals are ok but are basically just a tool carrier/power wheelbarrow. I find you can't really lay down a decent grade with one, can't cut, scary on hills, etc etc.

I like the takeuchi pretty well, has a little hydro thumb which is crude but works well enough, has a pin grabber with a 9", 18" and 30" grading bucket. Has been a good machine and fairly trouble free, don't think it has required more than a few hoses etc. Everyone preaches zero tail swing but I find the full tail helps with stability A LOT in the small size. I don't know that I've ever not been able to complete a job because it wasn't zero swing. It's mainly just the small width to get into the place.

easy to move and some of the less experienced guys can't get into much trouble with the little guys. it's beautiful rarely using a wheelbarrow or shovel

Minis.jpg

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

How does the PT30 compare to a standon loader like the sk750 or boxer 532?

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I love the idea of the pt30. I just looked up their dealers and theres one -5 mins away so I'm going to try and get one for a job next week. I've demo-ed the tb016 and its a great digger but lacks root/stump/lift power. But i understand its a limitation of size. I will agree that the dingos etc can't compete
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It seems like you were doing some good sized jobs there for a while. Personally if you got the space keep your dump trailer. Get the box truck and use that for mowing, med duty jobs. Maybe a boxer or dingo would suit your needs better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have experince removing shrubs with a compact ride-on skid steer? Enough power to lift?

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I still think a stand on is the better way to go. Reason being is that you don't loose the labor of the operator.

Grading on a stand on machine doesn't seem to be an issue either, or at least with my. Vermeer and the pilot controls.

Love the backhoe attachment for my machine. That's the best way to rip out shrubs.

[​IMG]

7. burnthefurniture

burnthefurniture LawnSite Member

If the equipment you currently have is paid off, why not just get the rig that you need for the smaller jobs as well. I've learned to never say never. Most of our clients seek us out and we work for small lot homeowners but also do master plans/installs for homeowners with acres of land. I think flexibility is key to efficiency. Currently, we run a kubota l3410 tractor with front loader and grader box, bobcat mt55, kubota k008-3 compact excavator, and a kubota kx 71-3 excavator. If you gear up to enter a very narrow niche market, and the market changes, you're behind in the game. I don't use every piece of equipment on every job, but I don't have to rent and I use all of them enough to pay the notes and make some money on the newer ones.

Just food for thought. Not all of my trucks roll out every day, but I am ready to handle whoever calls.

8. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

Also keep in mind hurricane season is near, and that big equipment will come in handy if a storm comes again. But you'll never know around here.

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm looking to sell one of my sk650s in order to get the sk755. I'm asking 10k for the unit, combo bucket and forks. great unit and regardless what you do get the biggest mini skid you can afford.

10. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

if that's 1000hrs or less that's not a bad deal. I paid 7k for both of my 650s with ~700hrs, but everyone can't be a deal hound like me.