1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Down south LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txlawnking, Jun 24, 2004.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I'm lookig towards winter/ slow season (you can cut @ 9-10 mos a year here) I know the guys up north can plow snow etc., But what are you guys doing? I'm thinking about setting up a repo truck ( I have extensive exp. I just quit doing it for other people, too unsteady) or maybe power washing, I'm open to any wise advice. Especially to ideas involving a realatively low start-up:D Any of you Houston guy's got ideas?? Thanks.

2. Grass_Nerd

Grass_Nerd LawnSite Member

How do commercial properties keep their parking lots clean? Maybe think about contracting properties to clean lots (pick up trash, sweep, etc.). Work night/early morning hours (11 p.m. -5 a.m.)? Just a thought...

3. txlawnking

I was thinking about parking lot sweeping, but I belive a sweeper truck is around 60g new ( not sure about this), I do notice that most sweepers around here seem to be out of Houston. A guy I used to work for had a sweeper, he didn't seem to be really making that much bread, relative to the cost of the equipt. Great idea though, just seems like a limited market here(locally).

4. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

5. txlawnking

Yeah serrico that's the exact company the dude got his from, no joke I'd swear he told me @$60g for his, but you never know he was a crook. I do know that in TX. one of those trucks is considered " enviromental clean-up machinery" and don't have to be registered, tagged or insured, ( although I'd deffinatelly have the last one!!) Maybe I could find one used for the right price. Any one here on LS have a sweeper? I'm really curious, about it now.

6. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

We have a few companies that do this in the orlando area.If you were working for them you would work the hours of 9:00 pm to 5:00am they pay aroung $60.00 dollars per 8 hour shift nightly.

Thats about 300 a week, think that if you were to cold call for lawns ,like i have been doing you could make morethan what they have to offier.

:alien:

7. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Leaf removal, what else? Ferts..

You can always keep the lawns clean while laying frog's hair down for winter color. Maybe it's me but I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would even offer service to those who won't stay with you throughout the year.

8. txlawnking

Leaf removal is also something I though of, But it's a fairly limited market here. Do any fellow texans know about the requirements to apply ferts. and pesticides here? I'm under the assumption you need a liscense and am wondering how do you study for a test like that? Where can you learn about that? A few of my better cust. have shown interest in having ferts and such, but as I haven't a clue about this I've declined this work. Thanks guys keep em' coming..

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

There's plenty to be done on the landscape scene in the 'off-season.'

10. txlawnking

You mean as in new plant install's etc., correct?