down time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrgreen, Sep 18, 2001.

1. mrgreen

mrgreen LawnSite Member
    from LA

This is currently my first season in the lawn care industry and I an wondering what to do during the winter. I would like some suggestions on ways to make extra money during the winter.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Well in your area it looks like snow plowing is out of the question. One thing I have cosidered, but have not done much research on, is hanging Christmas lights and decorations. I have heard there is big money in this.
    Matt

3. casey

casey Guest

I do snow removal but a friend does carpet cleaning in the winter & makes good $$$. He uses his LCO customer base for referrals & jobs. Initial investment is low.

4. I thought that down there they do seasonal cleanups in the winter?

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

In the past I have applied for general labor at temporary agencies. You get a break from the lawn work and it is even kind of fun because you know that you are soon to return to fun in the sun while the others are stuck there.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I starve. my brother goes to florida for a month or so and lives with the old snowbirds in hotels on the cheap cause it is the off season there. you literally could live in florida in a hotel for a thousand bucks for a month if you bought groceries. sure beats those winter blues in January. I try to go for a week or two. Daveg

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

if i was still there, i'd be at my camp in Leeville catching speckled trout and redfish and huntin' a few ducks.

I'll be back......................

8. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

What part of louisiana are you from?

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You should have leaf jobs basically all winter. Here in TN I do leaves almost all winter. Maybe a couple of weeks completely off.

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote commercial jobs, Build new racks/equip, update fert quoting system and clean my office. In between I do home improvement items such as plumbing, electrical, carpentry etc. for hire. Its also a good time to get your hemroid surgery. If there is ever a good time for that. Oh, I also do snow blowing for res. cust. I avoid the plow, like to sleep when it's dark.