down to a few choices on a Zero turn- Any inpuit appreciated

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blair smock, Jun 20, 2004.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Hi Guys, I posted a couple of weeks ago looking for suggestions on a Zero turn commercial mower. I appreciate all the constructive feedback that was given. My goal was to try and find something new around 5k but have found out that is pretty tough to do. Been checking out A LOT of local places and test driving as much as I can. I have come down to two machines, they both had outstanding dealerships, service knowledgeable and friendly. I can understand what you mean about finding a good local dealer, The Gravely dealer would not even get off the phone to talk with me as I stood there for 20 minutes. The John Deere dealership is 15 minutes away from me and were very helpful! I test drove 4 of there zero turns and they bent over backwards to help!
    The next place was an Exmark dealer about 30 minutes away. They to were more than helpful and promptly pulled out three of there zero turns for test drives.

I came up with A 737 John Deere w/ a 23hp Kawasaki 54” Cut (Ztrak) $6695.00 #1 choice

A 717 John Deere with a 19 hp Kawasaki and a 48” cut $5795.00 #2 choice

And last choice was a Exmark LazerZ CT with a 19hp Kawasaki 52” cut $5850.00
    But I would have to upgrade the seat and add the deck lift +$280.00 #3 choice.
    I talked with exmark and they said quality of cut would be the same as there other mowers and the Kawasaki 19hp would be the best way to go. Also they said this mower is still considered to be of Commercial grade.

This unit will be used for about 40 hours a week, I need a reliable mower that can stand up to commercial use, with a GREAT Quality of Cut! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

These units are in my price range , plus I don’t want to have to go into debt for, by buying a higher end unit.. Thanks for your help! Blair

2. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Just my imput, you'd be happier with the Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 52" cut and the 23 HP Kawasaki. That's the unit I've run the past season and a half and haven't have one problem with it. Plenty of power and currently has 480 hrs on it. The cut is incredibly, added the striping kit this Spring.

The bigger deck and engine will bump you into the 7k range but if you're using the unit 40 hrs plus, it'll make you the money back in no time. I'm on the rider about 25 hrs a week, so if you're putting that many hours on it, I would definitely bump the deck and engine size up. Best of luck.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I would price your #1 choice against a 52" Lazer HP with the 23 horse motor and decide between them.
    A 19 horse 48 inch cut probably won't satisfy you for very long if you truly will be using it 40 hours per week.But do price the HP against the JD so you can compare apples to apples.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You need something with more power if you are running it 40 hours a week. The eXmark hp lazer is a better choice than all three. You need something that is commercial grade. Not something that is considered commercial grade. Spend the extra money for the bigger machine. It will save to more in the end for repairs and operating costs. You probably lucky that the gravely dealer was on the phone.

5. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with both Stripethis and its Gottabegreen. Go big on power and size. I wouldn't even consider a zero turn less than 60 inches. I know your lawns may be smaller than some of mine but I use a 72' (eXmark) in some very tight areas. You will be amazed what you can do with the bigger machine. In fact, I am trading in a new 60" zero turn that I bought this year for a 72. It's a great mower but I can get so much more done with the 72 that is now three years old. Another very important thing that I learned from experience and here on Lawnsite is DO NOT SKIMP on equipment. It will hurt once when you pay the extra money, but it hurts everytime you have to use the lesser piece of equipment you saved a few bucks on. Regardless of how you go I wish you luck..

6. I agree about the lazer hp it's a great mower id also price it instead of the ct ...cant comment on deere dont own one never have ...but i love my lazer hp 52 ..great cut stripe and the ultra vac for leaves is great .

7. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I don't know much anbout the John Deere but I do know that the Exmark is a quality mower. Exmark has a reputation for a high quality cut and a dependable machine. That is my 2 cents worth.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

thats alot of hours per week, we go full bore and rack up about that many hours. I also say bigger is better in this case.

9. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat earlier this year,spend 5-6k on mower and get by.Lots of looking and thinking and found a 61" SCAG tiger cub for 7000k great deal====best waiting and extra spending of 1000k. A 19hp will not handle the demands you will put on it for 40hrs a week.You will limit yourself,no bagger etc.
    Mowing 40 hrs a week it will pay for itself quickly.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on the general concensous here man, get at least a 52", it makes normal size properties shrink to tiny, and big ones to small!!!