Down to Gravely vs. Kubota

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acreage to mow, Sep 20, 2007.

1. acreage to mow

acreage to mow LawnSite Member

Looking for discussion to determine best route to take. I've got two local dealers of equal standing offering mowers I like for the same price. One is the 2006 Gravely 260 w/27 HP Daihatsu Diesel and the other is the 2007 Kubota ZD-326 60" with their 26 HP Diesel. Both new with the Gravely having a few demo hours. May be able to get the Gravely down another $500 - $800.

Need something to help sway my final decision before Saturday morning.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

I have the 26 HP kubota 326 pro 60 inch and love it.Very heavy duty deck,great motor and great seat to boot.No complaints yet.I paid $10,700 plus tax for mine(new).coobie:)

3. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

You might do a search in here on the Daihatsu diesel engine. I remember reading some not so good stuff when I was doing some research myself. But I do not remember the thread it was in. Good luck.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Before you come to the conclusion that I am "biased", not true. However, this decision is a no-brainer. Kubota diesels are tried and true - unmatched durability, world leader in 3-cylinder engines, and demanded probably 5-1 over the competition.

Concerning the machine itself, the 6 1/2" deep deck on the Kubota that I currently own has much more lift/vacuum than my previous ZD21 - VERY heavy duty. The deck height & deck engagement are hydro-assisted. Foot operated parking brake is nice to have. Finally, I have sat on every seat that has been installed on commercial mowers and the new one they now have on the 300 series mowers is the most comfortable so far.

At my dealer, the 326/60 is $10,600 and the 331/60 is $11,600. Hope this helps.

:usflag:

5. acreage to mow

Thanks for everyone's help and advise!

Acreage

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think the little Kubota diesels are the best small diesel for use on a ZTR. However, I still think the Kubota mower is nowhere near ready for "prime time". The Gravely mower is way better, except for the engine. Tough decision you have there. I think I would take a chance on the Kubota machine. I am a Gravely dealer and love the Gravely machine. But, that Daihatsu engine is not one I would recommend, and is not an engine I will sell in my shop.

7. acreage to mow

Thanks! It's a shame we can't get the Kubota diesel on the Gravely mower.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

In your "professional dealer" opinion, tell me how you justify the following statement - "Gravely is WAY better".

In what ways/areas? :usflag:

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Gravely has been building mowers for over 60 years. They have an excellent deck, frame, hydro. drive system combination. Kubota has only been building mowers, (ZTR models) for about 6 or 7 years. Every model they have come out with has developed either deck problems or hydro. drive problems. They might have it right this time, but who wants to take a chance. Kubota has a proven record of failed designs in their ZTR's. Gravely has a proven record of solid, well built, good cutting ZTR machines.
    This is my observations, having owned, demonstratred, and/or worked on these two brands of machines. Kubota will get it right some day, and probably surpass Gravely. However, they have not proved to me they are there yet.