1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Down with the rental compressor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by amar, Oct 22, 2007.

1. amar

amar LawnSite Member

I'm sick or renting a tow behind compressor. I see guys blowing systems out with a 6.5 hp saddle tank compressors every day. They don't even put out 12CFM IF i buy a I/R 13hp Honda 26CFM am I safe on residential systems?

2. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

sure... if you're a lawn cutter looking to dabble in the sprinkler business 3 weeks a year. The problem with those unprofessional compressors is it's hard to charge professional prices. I saw a "sprinkler company" winterizing today out of a minivan... doesnt mean you should do it

send the repair work my way in the spring

3. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Think long term. I was out on friday, pulled up to a house and two guys in a van were blowing out a small daycare building that couldn't have had more than 6-7 zones, well my customer wasn't home I kept on my route came back finished hers and the two guys were still blowing out this place. I looked at what they were using and it was a small compressor like you are describing in the back of the van.

So I took care of 4 blowouts in 45min-hour while these two guys were screwing around still, my 4 clients were very close (actually within 3 blocks) so I did $220 worth of blowouts with my 185 while these guys were getting maybe $85 at the most.

If you can look around try and locate a 110 for residentials to buy, I don't know what you pay but we bought a 185 5-6 years ago and have saved thousands in rental costs.

4. BSME

from Midwest

I think you should own just so you can have a long winterizing season. We started late september and will go until late november.

I have a IR 185 but will rent another one this year for two weeks (this week and next week) because of the late warm weather we are getting a rush here. I also know a lot of people return their compressors at the end of October... I think that'll make it easier for us that are still doing blowouts in November.

5. BSME

from Midwest

6. One of the downsides to craigslist. Gives FBNs free advertisement.

7. melior quam pluvia

melior quam pluvia LawnSite Member
    from U.S.

$20...Northern trunk slammer;)

8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We entered a new market recently and while I was shutting down a customers house he was said business must be good if you are in more then one area. I looked at him and said business is good, since the problem is not finding a company to service a system the problem is finding a quality company to service your system and one that answers the phones and responds to a customers needs. And that is why I am at your house today sir. He just looked at me like I found the fountain of youth.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(razzafrazzin' scrubs)