Downeaster Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jamesgateslandscaping, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I will be ordering my dump trailer tomorrow. 6x10 Downeaster Dump trailer, 10,000 GVW, brakes on both axles...etc. The price is $4400 Delivered. Im getting $600 on my older trailer (backup one) which is 6 years old 6x10 tilt. What is everyones opinion? I cant afford a dump truck right now cause of college next year and because I just leased an 05 GMC 2500HD ext cab (fully loaded). Do you think this is a good idea?
    Thanks
    James

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

The dump trailer seems like a good idea to get rolling.

The brand new 2500HD doesn't to me though. Couldn't you get by with 1/2 the payment and something used? I know and realize that image is everything but people respect the fact that you work hard and spend your money on equipment vs. trucks.

Just my $.02 though. I could care less about driving around in a brand new rig. I have older trucks that do the job great and don't cost me a fortune to lease/pay for, insure and register.

3. Jamesgateslandscaping

the lease was a good choice because of the warrenty. With going to college, I didnt want to worry about stuff breaking and so forth. Its also nice to get a new truck every 3 years because of the plowing in the winter and towing everyday during the summer. The lease will also help me build credit. The insurance is the same for a new vehicle as it would the same as an old one because of my age :angry:.

4. Lawnchoice

Good points -

Having no breakdowns is sure key. I guess my older trucks are backups when things break!

You do have a great area out there to work with. How are things coming along this spring?

5. Jamesgateslandscaping

Not bad. Its tough with school...I can only do so much. Things always work out though. I have been quoting a ton of work...I love advertising. Hows stuff out there? How many years in business? this is my first legit, but have been doing this for 3 years solidly. What do you guys mostly do? I have tons of maintences and am trying to get into hardscaping. I am going to the Thompson School at UNH for landscaping in the fall.
    Thanx
    James

6. Lawnchoice

Get through school no matter what it takes! :)

The coast is great. I have been doing it part time for 10 years and finally made the move to full time last year. I had the customers and the business strucutre that I wanted and knew I was ready. I think I have some great accounts that are very well taken care of. Some people might try to tell you that maintenance doesn't have much money attached to it...........but if you do it right, I can be very profitable.

I run things a little bit differenlty than most. 97% of my customer base is 12 mo. Plow/cleanups/plantings/cutting/etc.etc. Works out great that way I think.

Good luck at the T - School. You will get great benefit from it now and years to come!

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I see nothing wrong with a loaded new truck. I spend more time in my truck then I do at home sometimes so I wanna make sure it has everything I want.

8. Lawnchoice

To each their own -

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there James. Good for you going to T-school and getting more info on lawns. Hey I see you have a cub cadet wb 48" If you dont mind can you tell me where did you get that and how old is it? Its gear driven im guessing. Im been thinking about getting one and a new dealer opened up in Eppsom. Thanks for any info. :waving:

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

you can lease a plow truck??????