Downeaster electric sanders

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by boba, Nov 9, 2000.

1. boba

boba LawnSite Member

What is the experience of anyone with an electric drive sander? Does it create too much draw on the truck electrical system? Does it work as well as a gas drive unit?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have a smith electric spreader, very similar to the downeasterner. I love it, less draw than the plow. It is more effecient with material, and if you get the all stainless model, no rust to worry about. They are quiet, and no gas, hard starting, or maintenance to worry about. In all a very slick unit, I highly recommend one.
  3. snow

snow Guest

dino- is it possible to hook up a control like a buyers one for the tailgate spreaders to a harder or downeaster electric spreader? i was over at my friends shop tuesday and he has an electric downeaster in stock. it was the one at the bbq. i think that with all the problems with the gas engines not starting, an electric one would do the job.

p.s- dino, please email me.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

No it wont. The units are run through a relay, with that in mind its either on or off. Smith does offer a control unit but is alomost $500.00. Being that a v box is rarely used for fine area spreading, full on is fine. If I am ina constrained area, I just reset the deflector shield for more down angle.
  5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Downeaster spreaders, are built about 45 min to 1 hour from me. I know one of their fab guys, so if ya buy one and it falls apart, let me know.